Turks and Caicos Liveaboard or resort?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ddavin

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
A group of us (all experienced divers) are looking into diving Turks and Caicos. Would forum members recommend a resort or liveaboard? We have been (and very much enjoyed the experiences) at Little Cayman, Cozumel, Bonaire, and Roatan AKR. Looking to go someplace new.

If it's just a dive trip, I'd recommend a liveaboard, which is what I used my one trip there.

Turks & Caicos Research Notes - Turks & Caicos Research Notes

Turks & Caicos Aggressor II Report Apr. 2018 - Trip Report - Turks & Caicos Aggressor II 4/21-4/28 Trip Report

To sum it up, the destination has a reputation for long boat rides to and from the diving if you go land-based, Provo. is expensive topside, and though it's a cruise port it doesn't seem to have a rep. for a great topside excursion place. You can hit TripAdvisor.com, do a Search for Providenciales and click Things To Do, and see if any of the listings appeal to you.

From what I saw it'll be a different sort of diving and trip for you, which you indicated is what you're looking for.

Yes, I would opt for one of the two liveaboards. The ride out is long, as is the day of diving. The liveaboards do the same sites as the day boats but have 4-5 dives/day

A group of us (all experienced divers) are looking into diving Turks and Caicos. Would forum members recommend a resort or liveaboard? We have been (and very much enjoyed the experiences) at Little Cayman, Cozumel, Bonaire, and Roatan AKR. Looking to go someplace new.
Just got back from Provo and dove with AquaTCI over Christmas. (Stayed at the Sands Grace Bay). Small boat and terrific operators. Scubadada is right, the trip out from land is easily 40-45 mins or more, depending on the site. However visibility was phenomenal and diving was fun. Great wall diving with nice swim throughs. The reefs were in ok shape (some were very nice, others a bit bleached). The advantage of being on land is that we found some great restaurants and food. I think the restaurant scene has really improved.

Just got back from Provo and dove with AquaTCI over Christmas. (Stayed at the Sands Grace Bay). Small boat and terrific operators. Scubadada is right, the trip out from land is easily 40-45 mins or more, depending on the site. However visibility was phenomenal and diving was fun. Great wall diving with nice swim throughs. The reefs were in ok shape (some were very nice, others a bit bleached). The advantage of being on land is that we found some great restaurants and food. I think the restaurant scene has really improved.
+1 for AquaTCI. Fantastic operators. They recently purchased Provo Turtle Divers' dive boat (a Newton 36), so now they have multiple boats while keeping to small groups.

I’m in Provo now, having just spent five days diving with Dive Provo. I have zero complaints about them, and had great dives all week, but the hour long ride to and from the dive sites gets old. We rented a car so we could drive to the marina every morning around 8, and we didn’t get back until between 2 and 2:30. It seems like the perfect place for a liveaboard. If I could go back in time, I’d have done that instead.

I just got back from T&C Provo diving with Aqua TCI and would definitely recommend them . We were with family so only dove one day off West Caicos. We were there in 2017 and dove with Turtle Divers, interestingly enough we dove on their old boat with Art from Turtle Divers driving his old boat. Lot of room on the boat when they limit it to 8 divers.
Watching one of the Beaches boats come in to dock with no room to move onboard is scary.

I have been to Turks (Provo) 13 time. I would highly recommend a live aboard. They get to places that day boat’s don’t. They also normally offer up to 5 dives per day to include a night dive. You setup your gear once then you just walk to the back of the boat and start your dive.

If you care mostly about the diving and have no compelling reason to stay on land (like a non-diving partner who insists) it’s definitely a good place to do liveaboard. You’ll get in a lot more diving without the long day boat trips. Topside does have nice beaches and good restaurants, but I did not find it otherwise interesting.

Another thing nice about liveaboard, when diving West Caicos by liveaboard you’ll get to do some diving there in the afternoon. The day boats will be diving there in the morning, when it (the west side of West Caicos where you would dive) is in shadow, especially as the diving avrages deep there.

Back
Top Bottom