Turtle Cavern, Sipadian, Indonesia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have been there in July 2002 but stayed on Mabul (not Sipadan) which is 15-20 min by speed boat. I dived in Turtle Cavern together with the guide (I don't have cave certification). The dive was really great. The cavern is quite big and without certification and without dual cylinders you may visit it but deep penetration (ie the Turtle tomb itself) will not be allowed. If anyone interested I can scan the map of cavern and send it by e mail.

Magus once bubbled...
I have been there in July 2002 but stayed on Mabul (not Sipadan) which is 15-20 min by speed boat. I dived in Turtle Cavern together with the guide (I don't have cave certification). The dive was really great. The cavern is quite big and without certification and without dual cylinders you may visit it but deep penetration (ie the Turtle tomb itself) will not be allowed. If anyone interested I can scan the map of cavern and send it by e mail.
Sounds cool, our trip is now in January and am looking forward to it. Should be good. Will not be diving next month so I guess it's going to be almost 2 months out of water before then. But I'm sure it will be a great way to start the year.

Viz wasnt what i had hoped for, pretty average had better at aur. The diving was still good lots of turtles not so many sharks as hoped for, and only ONE Baracuda.

I dont know if that is common for the season or not

Heard that the best time to visit sipadan is Mar-Apr, and that is why I'm planning a trip there during that time, hopefully nothing serious pops up to spolit my dream dive vacation :D

I was there a week ago and dived the Turtle Cavern. We went in with a dm from Borneo Divers. I don't have a cavern cert. There are 2 chambers: the cavern which is about 70m deep (into the rock that is, the entrance is at 18m) and the turtle tomb.

Our plan was to go through the cavern and then into the tomb. There were 5 of us including the dm. The cavern is big and quite high. Although it later becomes classed as a cave because of the shape of the rocks and the fact that you go up to about 5m at the back of the cavern. You can't see the entrance so therefore it's now a cave.

This is where the small tube that leads to the turtle tomb starts. It's about 1.5m high and about 2m wide. I got about halfway in and decided that the tube was too claustrophobic for me. Time to get out.

I don't know how cave divers do it. I just felt that it was beyond what I should be doing with my level of training and comfort. My buddy stayed with me in the cavern while the others went in. They loved it and thought the tube was no big deal. You'll probably love it too.

Inside the cavern is a turtle skeleton and a marlin skeleton. I don't know how the marlin died. Inside the tomb, there is a dolphin skeleton along with many intact turtle skeletons.

Sipadan was the best diving I've ever seen. I was completely blown away. It's also worth teh trip over to Mabul especially if you're a photographer.

Turtle skeleton from the cavern.

Very clear photo.. you sure this is underwater?

jiveturkey once bubbled...
I was there a week ago and dived the Turtle Cavern. We went in with a dm from Borneo Divers. I don't have a cavern cert.
I look forward to my trip there, but I was concerned that you and your buddies went that far into the caven to the point that it became a cave, when you don't have the required training.

Always dive safe.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom