TUSA Visualator Mask - Lens Breaking

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WetLens

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I bought a Visualator sometime in 2006 as I recall. I had prescription lenses added through my local dive shop. At the end of the first trip with the new mask, I flipped it out of the way while packing to head home. The mask dropped no more than 3 inches - on carpet - and the lens shattered. The dive shop worked with the prescription lens supplier and the mask was made whole for the cost of a faceplate.

Earlier this year, while diving Rainbow River Run in Florida, the boat captain picked up my mask and fins as we loaded the boat. The mask dropped no more than six inches to a wooden deck and again, the faceplate shattered. This time it cost $100 to replace the faceplate and Rx lenses. The Rx lens supplier changed lenses this time, considerably reducing the size of the lenses.

Yesterday, it happened again. Similar scenario - mask bumped, dropped a few inches (however, this time on concrete) and the mask shattered.

I have owned diving masks for over 40 years and had prescription lenses bonded in them for the past 35 years. Only once have I had a faceplate shatter - and that was in my checked luggage before masks were sold with cases. I purchased a hard case after that trip and have never had a problem since.

I taught diving for over 20 years - the mask takes a lot of abuse in and around the pool - and never had a mask break.

I won't be putting any more money into this mask, but have to know if anyone else has had problems with faceplate breakage? Does it have something to do with the Rx lenses?

Any thoughts?

Had the same thing happen with my backup mask w/Rx lenses. Its not a Visualator but my primary mask is, also with Rx. Backup was bought a few months back while the primary was three years ago.

When I got the Vis. mask Rx'ed, they told me that the glue was 'releaseable' and in case of breakage the Rx lenses could be saved. On the new backup mask, I was told they had switched to a new glue that is not release-able (because they had too many returns where the Rx lenses were debonding over time)

I've dropped my Visualator a few times with no issue.

So, I suspect (and its just a guess, IANAEngineer) that the newer bonding agent being used is effecting the normal shock absorption of the mask faceplate.

I've been diving a Visualator since 2002 and haven't had any issues. It's been dropped, kicked, stepped on, you name it and no problems. It's been a very durable mask. I would think you have an issue with the company providing the prescription lens. :palmtree: Bob

HI WetLens-
Sorry to hear of your issues. We think it may be the addition of the Rx lenses to the M-14 lens that causes a higher sensitivity to shock/drops. The mask and all TUSA masks as sold on market go through extensive testing including drop tests for shock and breakage and meets or exceeds internal testing standards. The lens of the M-14 is fairly large and with Rx lenses added (additional weight and bonding) could be much more sensitive to shocks and drops.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom