TWARS (This Week at Reef Seekers) - Dec. 29 - Jan. 5

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ken Kurtis

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
The last TWARS of 2019 . . .

NOT THE END OF THE DECADE - In case you're wondering why I didn't say "Last TWARS of the decade," that's because it's not. Since - in the beginning - there was no year "0," decades begin in the year ending in "1" and END in the year ending in "0." So 2020 is really the END of the decade, not the start of the new one. Of course, this gets complicated when "the 20s" will include a year ending in "30" but I don't write these rules so you'll have to complain to someone else.

GREAT DEAL ON THE INDO AGGRESSOR - To be clear, this is NOT an official Reef Seekers trip so I won't be leading this. (Of course, that could also be a plus.) It also does NOT replace our intended trip back to Murex in Manado, Indonesia, in October. But the bottom line is that IF YOU'D LIKE TO SAVE 40%, you should consider this trip. This all came about because Shirley Parry was checking the Aggressor website for deals. She found this and talked Marilyn Lawrence into going as well and asked me to book both of them. But it was just them and two others on this trip and that might not be enough for the trip to run so Shirley suggested I pitch this to the general Reef Seekers group (that would include you) to see if others wanted to go. And lo & behold, Henry Gittler & Lisette Lieberman signed up, as did Glenn Suhd. (And there's one or two others thinking about it.) Aggressor signed up another person (the boat only takes 16 divers mac - they have 18 crew - nice ratio) so it looks like it should be a firm go. So here are the details . . .

SAVE 40% ON THIS TRIP - The specific dive dates are April 4-17, 2020. This is ELEVEN nights on the boat so likely 9.5 days of diving. That's great bang for your buck even at full price. The itinerary is for the "Forgotten Islands" which are along the southern edge of Indonesia, between Indo and Australia, pretty much south and southeast of Sulawesi. Best of all, the area is rarely visited by dive boats so the reefs should be fairly pristine. The trip (twin cabin) normally goes for $5,050 but with the discount, a space can be yours for just $3,030. You could also choose a slightly larger upper cabin for $3,270. You'll need to add on a crew tip and a $180 marine park/port fee to your planning, but either way, this is a FABULOUS deal. How do you get there you might wonder . . .

AIRFARE FOR THE TRIP - We're still looking into specifics because you leave from Maumere and end up in Saumlaki. (I'm sure those cities are on your must-see list.) It seems easiest to fly into Bali through Singapore on Singapore Airlines. The return will likely go through Jakarta and then to Singapore. Interestingly, Economy on this itinerary was running around $1,800 but Premium Economy (non-stop LAX-SIN instead of going through Tokyo was actually CHEAPER at $1,200. Even Business was decently-priced at $2,500. (No telling how long these prices hold.) Out of Bali, it's likely Wings or Lion Air into Maumere, and from Saumlaki it's the same but through Ambon and into Jakarta. That will add $500 or so. All still a great deal for what you're getting.

HOW DO YOU GET THIS WONDERFUL DEAL? - Call me at 310/652-4990. Simple as that. I'll set you up on the boat and then we'll work on the plane tickets. Be aware though that, given that this trip is only a little more than three months away (90 days), Aggressor will want full payment shortly after we confirm your reservation. So we can't stretch out payments. But if you're interested, contact me ASAP and let's get you on this trip lest the discount disappear.

GOOD NEWS FROM COZUMEL - You may recall that a few months ago, they closed many of the southern reefs due to reef damage. Most of thee were reopened last week and will stay that way at least through March 31. We'll have more on this in the January full newsletter.

UNDERWATER CLEANUP SIGNUPS NOW UNDER WAY - The annual Avalon Underwater Cleanup is slated for Saturday, February 22, and Reef Seekers will again be taking a hearty band of divers over for the event. You can sign up with us via e-mail or by calling us at 310/652-4990. More info on this will also be in the January newsletter.

THINK YOU'RE HAVING A BAD DAY? - Be thankful you weren't the shark in this video, shot about 1500' deep as the sharks feasted on a dead fish. But even predators have predators, as you'll see: IS THAT A SHARK IS HIS MOUTH????

That'll do it for now. Have a great holiday week and let's go diving soon!!! (But after the New Year . . .)

- Ken

Yep, another species of wreckfish in action, gobbling down that shark

Back
Top Bottom