TWARS (This Week at Reef Seekers) - January 7-14

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ken Kurtis

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
—————————————————————————————————————————————
Want to travel??? Upcoming 2018 vacation trips:

• April 14-21 - Bonaire (Buddy Dive)

• June 8-20 - Yap Immersion (same 10-day format we did this year)
• July 14-28 - Sulawesi, Indonesia with our friends at Murex (includes a day at Lembeh Straits)
• August 18-25 - Isla Mujeres (Whale Sharks, Cancun Underwater Museum, Cenotes)
• October 15-20 - Guadalupe on the Nautilus Belle Amie
• October 27 - November 3 - Roatan at Anthony's Key

GET MORE INFO ON ALL OF OUR VACATION TRIPS HERE: Foreign Trips
—————————————————————————————————————————————
Upcoming local dives & classes:

• Tue., Jan. 9 - Redondo - Squid Dive (FREE!!!) [CANCELLED DUE TO MY FLU]
• Sat., Jan. 20 - Catalina Express - Avalon Underwater Park ($150)
• Thu., Jan. 25 - (CLASS) Fish ID - Reef Seekers West(wood) ($25)
• Sat., Feb 3 - Redondo - Beach dive [single tank] ($25)
• Thu, Feb. 8 - Redondo - Squid Dive (FREE!!!)

Sat., Feb. 17 - Catalina Express - Avalon Underwater Park ($150)
Sat., Feb. 24 - Catalina Express - 37th Avalon Underwater Cleanup ($150)

To sign up for any of these dives, either call us at 310/652-4990 or e-mail us at kenkurtis@aol.com
————————————————————————————————————————————

This will be a short one because . . .

I'VE GOT THE FLU!!!! - I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy. I'm not going to waste your time whining about it but it's pretty miserable and if you have the least inkling you might be coming down with something, rest, fluids, and try not to infect anyone else. And if you can get to your doctor within about 48 hours of your symptoms starting (I didn't) ask for Tamiful, which may help a bit. Really miserable. It's also why I'm having to cancel the squid dive this week, as noted above.

AVALON UNDERWATER CLEANUP NEXT MONTH - It's never too early to start thinking about this great event and once again, Reef Seekers will have a group at the Green Pier. That's always been a great spot for a number of reasons (bathrooms being only one) but also it's a place we only get to dive this one time a year and there's always good stuff to find. We offer a package deal ($150) which is registration, Express over and back (out of Long Beach), taxi to the dive area, gear storage after the dive or taxi over to the Park if you want to keep diving, and the thanks of a grateful diving community. Remember that the event helps Avalon by cleaning up the harbor and benefits both the Catalina Hyperbaric Chamber and the Catalina Conservation Divers from the net proceeds. We hope we'll see you there, either as part of our group or someone else's.

CHANGES ONCE YOU LEARN TO DIVE - It's an insanely long link, but I got this today from a website that specializes in dive-related stuff and thought I'd pass it along. It's 20 things that would normally seem strange but, once you start diving, seem amazingly normal. See how many apply to you. #3 especially resonates with me:
20 Unexpected Changes After You Learn to Dive.

TOM WETZEL'S FUNERAL - As we told you last week (in the January newsletter), longtime NAUI/PADI/LACounty instructor and Reef Seeker's friend, Tom Wetzel, died suddenly and unexpectedly the morning of December 28. Funeral services for will be held this coming Saturday, January 13 @ 1:00PM @ St. John the Evangelist Catholic Church, 6028 S. Victoria Avenue, Los Angeles, CA 90043. Repast will be next door at 6102 S. Victoria Avenue. (The church is few blocks south of Slauson and one block west of Crenshaw.) No RSVP required. We hope those of you who knew or were taught by him will be able to attend. RIP Tom.

Tom Wetzel.jpg

And that'll do it for now. Have a great week and let's go diving . . . after I'm feeling better.

- Ken

Sorry you're "under the weather," Ken... especially when local vis has been reported as great

Back
Top Bottom