TWARS (This Week at Reef Seekers) - July 28 - August 4

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ken Kurtis

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Beware the Shingrex shot . . .

MAYBE IT WAS DUE TO THE JET-LAG - But it knocked me on my butt last weekend. Got it Friday afternoon, was wiped out Friday evening, 102.4º fever at 4AM overnight, felt better but tired and unfocused Saturday, and back to normal but racing like I was on adrenaline Sunday. Yikes. (But better all of that than shingles.)

INUNDATE YOURSELF WITH INDONESIA - In my typical "thorough" fashion ( a nice way to say lengthy and voluminous) I have completed and posted the trip report, SmugMug slide show, and three videos about our Indonesia trip two weeks ago. We really did have a fabulous time and if you take the time to go through some or all of these, you'll see why. Here are the various links (just click on the title): TRIP REPORT, SMUGMUG SLIDE SHOW, DIVING INDO 2019 VIDEO, TURTLE GRAZING VIDEO, CRAB WALKING VIDEO. Enjoy!!! (And if you're interested in going next year, let me know so we can start planning.)

I DON'T LIKE SHARK WEEK ANYMORE - It starts tonight on Discovery but it has really taken a turn the last few years. In the beginning (1988), it was very much in the sharks-are-dangerous mode and was somewhat sensationalist. The fact of the matter is that sharks have much more to fear from humans than the other way around. While there's no doubt you need to be cautious around them, there are over 400 species of sharks in the world and most of them are less than three feet long. Humans routinely kill 60-100 MILLION sharks each year for a variety of reasons and many of the species are on endangered lists. In the late 90s and 2000s, Discovery must have realized this because their programs took a much more conservation-is-good tone. But not now. Titles this week include "Eat, Prey, Chum," "Perfect Predator," "Great White Kill Zone," "I Was Prey," and others in that vein. Really sad. Sharks deserve better. I won't be watching.

BONAIRE GOES TAGLESS AND DIGITAL - Bonaire recently announced that they will no longer being issuing the marine park plastic tags that many divers keep hanging from their BCs are souvenirs, but will go all digital for the proof-of-registration. You can register before you leave home at www.bonairenaturefee.org. And remember that the fee increased this year. It's now $45 annually for a diver. Make sure you print out your confirmation and have it with you. When you check in to your hotel and dive operation in Bonaire, you'll be asked to show it, and then carry the paper with you at all times while diving.

SEAHORSES IN SoCAL - There was a nice article on local diver Roger Hanson in theL.A. Times a few weeks ago, talking about how he found some seahorses in our local waters and what's he's been doing to keep them safe and healthy. Fun read: ROGER HANSON'S SECRET SEAHORSES.

DIVER WINS EMMY
- Congrats to Reef Seekers diver Jay Wilson, an editor at KTLA5, for being awarded a local Los Angeles-area Emmy over the weekend for his work on the channel 5 Tournament of Roses broadcast. I don't think it's his first and I'm sure it won't be his last. Congrats Jay!!!

And that'll do it for now. Have a great week and let's go diving soon!!!

- Ken

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom