Twenty four hours of Sea Hunt

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Zale Parry and Leonard Nimoy have been mentioned. For a somewhat longer list, including episodes (where n.m = season.episode):

Zale Parry: 1.4 1.15, 1.33, 1.35, 2.9, 2.38 (6 episodes)
and reportedly as an uncredited diver or extra in 1.2, 2.4, and 2.29

Leonard Nimoy: 1.30, 1.33, 2.1, 2.15, 3.28, 3.30 (6 episodes)

Others of some note:
Larry Hagman: 1.18, 1.23, 1.26,
Robert Conrad: 2.6, 2.22
Ted Knight: 4.16
Jack Nicholson: 4.38

And Lloyd’s family:
his wife Dorothy: 1.28
son Jeff: 1.28, 1.32
son Beau: 3.29
(yes, the same Jeff and Beau who later became fairly famous actors)

Last edited:
Reactions: Jax
You can watch episodes on youtube. Not sure what season, but there are about 30 - 40 episodes. I enjoy the flash back to the 60'S. Also enjoy it at a different level now that I have some underwater knowledge. Funny scenes when mike claims to be deep diving and you can see the surface 2 feet above his head, or when he is struggling to ascend but you can see he is just treading water.

Yea, and then there is that very dangerous Octopus .... and the ever present school of sharks circling with consumptive intent :D

First off: Hello! I am new to diving and been lurking on many parts of this board for over the last month or so.

When I told my father I was getting OW certified, he asked me if I'd ever seen Sea Hunt. I'd never heard of it, but as I described all the safety procedures and training I was learning in my PADI classes, he found it amusing that Mike Nelson didn't do ANY of that stuff! So, I had to check it out. FYI: the full series is available for streaming for free on Hulu.com (with commercial breaks).

I really enjoy it and I've been soaking up all diving magazines and diving-related TV shows and movies for some time now. I know by many standards it's a bit outdated, but I've actually been surprised by some of the more progressive ideas portrayed in the show. Mike doesn't make assumptions about anyone's abilities or behavior based on gender (i.e. no one is "just a dame"). He also doesn't inherently vilify most of the animals, such as sharks, rays and octopi (he even defends the octopus as non-threatening in one episode). That said, we must have had a very limited knowledge of the habits of killer whales at the time (enough so that they amusingly inserted footage of a gray whale for the underwater shots of this "man-eater")! In all, it's just very neat to see what recreational diving was like in it's infancy when this show aired. I've not yet finished the first season, but I count myself is a fan.

As a very young child, I loved watching Sea Hunt with my dad. Mike Nelson was my hero of the deep. I didn't take up diving until 40 years later but spent much time underwater while growing up at a lake. Thanks for the info about episodes being available on Hulu and also being able to purchase DVDs through Amazon. They'd definitely take me back to a great time in my life watching Sea Hunt with my daddy (God rest his soul).

Yea, and then there is that very dangerous Octopus .... and the ever present school of sharks circling with consumptive intent :D

Ha, back in the days when many Sea Hunt episodes were filmed off Catalina, there actually were significant numbers of sharks (mostly blues) in our waters. They were still here when I arrived in 1969. Sad that today it is a very rare event to see a blue or a mako without going offshore and chumming.

Ha, back in the days when many Sea Hunt episodes were filmed off Catalina, there actually were significant numbers of sharks (mostly blues) in our waters. They were still here when I arrived in 1969. Sad that today it is a very rare event to see a blue or a mako without going offshore and chumming.
I remember alot more sharks back in the 70's as well, but I think they were on a steep decline, even back then....
Fortunately, Palm Beach still has plenty of sharks and a healthy ecosystem --see this...
[video=youtube_share;1ew4hpsJowg]http://youtu.be/1ew4hpsJowg[/video]

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom