Twin Lakes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lovetodive2

Reaction score
Hi Everyone

I would just like to put my two cents in about Twin Lakes. The owner is working hard to really clean the place up. He has
removed old junk from the water, cleaned up lots of weeds
and really is working hard to make this a good place to dive.
I hope we'll all give it a chance and check it out. Although I didn't dive, the water from the shore looked very clear, I could see several fish about 8-10 feet down at least. The owner seems
very eager to do what it takes to make this a place we could really use. I am excited to help out and make some dives there.
It was nice to meet everyone, I look forward to the 18/19.
Happy Diving!!!!!

:D

Well here goes...

9:00 am almost heading to "the Hole" (blue lagoon), I decide to call Dee and da' Beast and get directions to Twin Lakes, hoping to hook up with some of the Swampsters. Note: 5-7 ft. seas aborted our try at the rig dive (Tom's curse of the gulf... Texas to Mississippi) and I dove back last night.

Arrived in only 50 minutes...hey Houston divers! Mike was off site and met bro. in law Chris, nice folk, sign the release, he said some one else was down at the northeast end painting the entry deck Steve (T.P.H.) and Micheal (Odin) had helped with...

Visited a while and headed to the southeast shore of the larger lake for a solo. Geared up, took the pony and waded thru the slick mud to the fairly clear water. Headed west along the shore @ about 30' with good viz and small bass in the hydrilla above. Vis around 20 above the thermocline at 18 or so and 5-10 below. Found and old tackle box, rod with some monofiliment, took it to the bank and finished the dive. Mike the owner had returned and came over for a visit. Headed up to the fast food for a burger and back to help them launch the deck and the dive platform.

The deck was nice with a really nice set of steps....(be sure and compliment Mike, he was proud of them) floating on 16 plastic barrels. The platform was metal mesh panel floor with 4 inch channel perlins for a rail around and suspended at 20 ft with chains off two 250 gal propane tanks. We launched it off the deck without a hitch, dropped an old 24 in section of concrete pipe and anchored it to that. The first student was checked out on it about 15 minutes later!

Steve and I hit the bottom and made a nice dive with the air we had left, viz varried, i guess due to the clay bottom and silt and spring heads. Max depth 49'. All in all, I marked it up as a good place close by with a owner that takes advice from divers to better the place.

It now has two entry decks, 4 platforms and several more decks planned, along with a camping area on the southeast end that has some nice trees.

tony

ps. Steve, had a good time, looking forward to our next one. get a hooded vest dude...... stay warm!

That sounds nice! I'm glad you finally got to get wet :D We had a wild day in the pool! Would have much rather been with you guys!

What was the temp below the thermocline? I'm looking forward to the 18/19. It'll be nice to have a decent place close to home.

See ya Wed. nite :thumb:

Hey Dive BUD!
Bottom was chilly, 55, think I recall mid 60s at about 25. I wonder if the Cobra has a way of storing temps to download to the computer software. So far I've been manually adjusting to readings I recall. Profiles are great!

Any one know?

tony

Originally posted by scubatexastony
Hey Dive BUD!
Bottom was chilly, 55, think I recall mid 60s at about 25. I wonder if the Cobra has a way of storing temps to download to the computer software. So far I've been manually adjusting to readings I recall. Profiles are great!

Any one know?

tony

Yes, it does. I just happen to have Suunto's Dive Manager on this old laptop from last summers Pompano Beach trip. Some frineds of ours had Cobras and I downloaded their dives for them. So, according to those profiles, both air and water temps are recorded. Cool!

I can do short dives to those temps in my .5mm steamer but I think I'll pack the 3mm just in case!

Thanks, Dive Dewd

Well I made it back to Twin Lakes today (Sunday) for a short visit. I arrived just in time to watch scubatexastony, Oden and T.P.H enter the water. They seemed pretty pumped for a great dive. The water looked clear and the new platform was ready. I didn't stick around to see them arrive back to shore. Talked to the owner for a while, he's really excited about fixing the park up. I look forward to my first dive there. It was great to meet eveyone.

I finaly made it down to the lake at 2 pm and scubtexastony (with the biggest grin I had ever seen)said that they were waiting on me to finish the picnic tables.I told him after Saturday I was dreaming about buzz saws..lol.
Things were moving along pretty fast.Tony And I helped get the plat loaded on the float dock and at 3pm on the nose...a big splash marked the completion of sub-plat #1. :D
Scubatexastony and I were floatin around the dock after that and lovetodive2 (smiling with enthusiazm) was there.Nhi,and Odin showed up and we all took off to the bottom.Me and Tony hooked up and took a cruise scoping out the bottom.It was a wonderful dive.
I think tony found a spot along the old road bed that dropped to 60 ft before I got there so Advanced classes will be ableto be held there.Mike said that night diving will be allowed as long as its set up with him in advance.Gota do it!
I`ll be back out there this week end for somemore buzz buzz and hammer hammer .Looking ahead to the 18/19.:)

p.s.Tony....... Yeah i`m gona look into the hooded top real shortly.Don`t want to play dixie on the teeth after I get out anymore.:D

Sounds Like Twin Lakes is going to be nice with all the work being done. I'm looking fwd to helping out or the 18/19 and getting to meet all of you. I don't have a 5mil yet but mid 60's isn't to bad with a 3mil so I'll just have to grin an bear it below that.

Will the owner be putting in an Airfill station in the near future? It's a drag to rent. I hope to have my own tanks before too long and an air fill is cheaper.

He's probably seriously thinking about a fill station, but as far as I know he doesn't have any experience with diving, fills, etc. Could be dead wrong, of course :)

I'm really glad to hear that the place is looking up... I'm sorta sad now that my initial impression was so bad :wink:

Has he graveled the roadway that splits the lakes, yet?

Jeff

Hey GeekDiver.I have a 3ml body glove and after a few min. the cold was realy pretty good.I didn`t get the rattles until I got back to the surface.But...I definatly want to get somemore layers..the cold only felt good for a short period of time.

Mike put sommore shell down in-between the lakes but not all the way.After a rain it will probly be pretty slick.I did talk to him about air service and although he agrees he wants to get the major plats and restroom/change houses built first.Be cool ya`ll and stay wet!
:)

steve

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom