Twin Quarries or Natural Springs water temps? (5/10-5/11)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

violakat03

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
origwoody and I (and possibly our respective SO's) are looking for a nearby dive trip and the shallower waters should be a bit warmer than Gilboa was last weekend. I was freezing my face off! I don't have a drysuit yet so anything I can do wet is a bonus for me. I was reading older posts and it looks like at this time of the year Twin Quarries might be warmer (and are closer to me by a smidge, I'm in Fairborn) but I'm not opposed to Natural Springs either. I can't find any admission information on their website though, is there a pay per day option, or just the annual pass?

Any other thoughts or insights on the two options? Gilboa is pretty much out for me for a little while or at least until I see a doctor, because with the ear-clearing problem I'm having, all the cool stuff was down too deep. Plus it was COOOOOOLD!

Hi Kat!
Natural Springs is a pay per day operation and you get one airfill with your paid admission. We'll be out there this weekend so I can give you more information next week. The water is usually warmer than Gilboa but since it hasn't really gotten very warm yet this spring it may still be in the low to mid 50's. It should warm up to around 60 degrees by late May if spring would get here soon; I've seen 60 degree water there in late April when the weather warmed up in March. You can actually find 80+ degree water in the shallows there in August if the summer is warm but the pond weed is tall and the visibility degraded that time of year.

I've never been to Twin Quarries so I can't help you there.

Good luck with your ears!
Ber :lilbunny:

origwoody and I (and possibly our respective SO's) are looking for a nearby dive trip and the shallower waters should be a bit warmer than Gilboa was last weekend. I was freezing my face off! I don't have a drysuit yet so anything I can do wet is a bonus for me. I was reading older posts and it looks like at this time of the year Twin Quarries might be warmer (and are closer to me by a smidge, I'm in Fairborn) but I'm not opposed to Natural Springs either. I can't find any admission information on their website though, is there a pay per day option, or just the annual pass?

Any other thoughts or insights on the two options? Gilboa is pretty much out for me for a little while or at least until I see a doctor, because with the ear-clearing problem I'm having, all the cool stuff was down too deep. Plus it was COOOOOOLD!

Actually, the distance to the 2 is just about exactly the same. But, it seems to be a bit quicker to Natural Springs because you're on 70 most of the way. Altho, with the construction STILL going on . . . . .

I'm also in Fairborn.

Ken

Here is the website for the twin quarries: Todd's Scuba Sales, Inc.
I would recommend that you hit up Circleville, I enjoyed that much more than Natural Springs.
They have current water conditions on their page as well as of today this is what they are:
Current Water Conditions

55 degrees
April 24, 2008

Kat
Just make sure you have air in your BC if you throw it in.Because we know what happens if there is not:confused:

Kat
Just make sure you have air in your BC if you throw it in.Because we know what happens if there is not:confused:

hey now, I only did as kat instructed! :mooner:

Me: need help getting your Bc to the pool?"
Kat: Sure
<me carrying BC to pool, where my gear was already floating for water entry>
Kat: why dont you just throw it in while you have it!
Me: OK
<Kats BC into the pool>
Kat: No! I was just kidding!

Moral of the story, a woman should not tell a guy to do something unless SHE WANTS IT TO HAPPEN!:dork2:

hey now, I only did as kat instructed! :mooner:

Me: need help getting your Bc to the pool?"
Kat: Sure
<me carrying BC to pool, where my gear was already floating for water entry>
Kat: why dont you just throw it in while you have it!
Me: OK
<Kats BC into the pool>
Kat: No! I was just kidding!

Moral of the story, a woman should not tell a guy to do something unless SHE WANTS IT TO HAPPEN!:dork2:

Secondary moral: Don't expect a man to understand sarcasm! :lotsalove:

Thanks for the advice, those who have given it. I'll see how my work schedule is going to play out (just got a new job today) over the next couple weekends and probably head over to the Quarries.

Anyone want to help us get leko certified? (Not the padded walls type of certified, unfortunately.)

Anyone want to help us get leko certified? (Not the padded walls type of certified, unfortunately.)

SODA has an open water cert group going over to Natural Springs this weekend. I'll be working with my advanced class there. I might have a slot open May 17-18 at Portage and White Star. I have one OW student going along with my AOW class, that would mean he has a buddy. It would be a couple long days since the weekend belongs to the AOW class and the OW diver's cert dives are getting fit in where I have time.

Water was WARM at Natural Springs. My guys saw anywhere from 62-64 in the shallows and 55-58 down in the trench. Not quite hoodless temperatures but warming up fast :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom