Twinset regulator recommendation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ok. Get two DS4 1sts stages and another XTX50, or if the price is almost the same, get two 1st and 2nd sets and carry the old XTX50 2nd as a ready-to-change-out-on-site spare. Use the Atomic (with spare XTX50 octopus) for singles. Avail yourself of the abundant use of Apeks in your area (competitive pricing, used regs, parts kits, service, advice, etc.)

Last edited:
My advice is to use two DST first stages with the 5th port upgrade. The hoses route beautifully and cleanly with no sharp bends. Because of the angle you'll have them at, when you put your head back it hits the nice rounded sides of the first stages instead of a sharp corner. Sounds like nit-picking, but when you turn a corner in a wreck and come face to face with a great big eel, one's head tends to jerk backwards, just sayin... The swivel will also make your life so much easier if/when you move to sidemount.

Tek3 first stages put much sharper bends in the hoses, which will significantly reduce their life spans. When you put your head back it will hit the corners of the reg, not comfy (remember that eel?). For a regulator designed specifically for doubles, they're pretty lousy doubles regs. They have their proponents in the folks that think a swivel on a reg will kill them, but I haven't exactly seen the accidents and incidents section get flooded with fatalities or close calls due to swivel failure.

The DS4 first stages will give you the choice of having sharp bends in your hoses like the Tek3s, or hoses that route obnoxiously close to the back of your head which limit your ability to look up.

For the second stage, I'd recommend the XTX50 for the primary, and either the XTX40 or XTX50 for your backup.

Apeks regs are easy to service, and parts kits are relatively easy to come by for DIY if you're into that sorta thing. The fact that Apeks are a bigger player in your area means that when you do send them in for service, the tech will have done many others of the same and could probably do the work in their sleep. Even a "qualified" technician that doesn't see a particular reg much gets rusty on it. For me really though the Apeks just hit the sweet spot of solid, reliable design at a decent price, with mainstream support.

I'm not trying to answer the OP's question, but for my own curiosity, I used to hear HOG and Apeks compared favorably with each other. Of course, HOG used to be priced more than competitively against other brands--a genuine bargain--but there no longer seems to be much of a price differential. For someone here in this part of the world where HOG is common, would you say HOG still compares favorably with Apeks?

quality wise yes, price wise still yes but barely. In the US apeks parts are damn near impossible to get. You have to submit serial numbers for each part kit, and you can only buy if you are current tech, working for a current approved service center. I.e. damn near impossible to get which makes them all but useless to most people wanting to DIY. Atomic is easier to get parts for, but they like almost all other regulator companies have the same rule as above regarding getting certified, so the OP will never get certified as an Atomic tech without working for an Atomic shop.

To the OP, if you like Atomic, stay with Atomic, there's nothing wrong with them, I just don't like them because they're pistons and I'm biased towards diaphragms

Thanks for those opinion. Some are quite interesting especially the maintenance difference when using sealed piston compared to sealed diaphragm. Also, I am not diving yet in cold water but may in the next few years, having somthing less prone to freeflow in that kind of condition is also to take in consideration.
So - whatever I love Atomic 2nd stage - it seems it would be more appropriate to go for diaphragm reg.
Now, when I compare HOG D3/Zenith with DS4 (or DST4) and XTX50, the price is very different (300-500 USD of difference for a full twinset), it doesn't play that much in favor of Apeks.
Who already dove using D3/Zenith setup. How does it compare to DST/XTX50?

Last but not least, some of you said I should use something that is available in my country of residence. If I follow this, I would never check Atomic (you have only one shop for the whole country). My choice would be restricted to:
- Mares (hum... can't imagine this in tech)
- Apeks
- Aqualung
- Scubapro (don't really like them and not as available as the other brands)
So my choice would be limited as you can see: Only Aqualung and Apeks would be really possible. I may also consider Aqualung but still, would like have more opinion regarding HOG :wink:

Thanks a lot

I got 2 atomic b2's for mu doubles and dive them year round( theyre sealed first stages). From ice diving to 80f waters, never a problem

Hogs don't reverse, Apeks do. Hogs don't have the different exhaust T's, Apeks do. Both things that are personal preference and may or may not be useful for you. The Hogs are very capable regulators and other than brand preference or potential resale value, there isn't much leaning in Apeks favor. I think they look better, especially the XTX200 second stages, but not enough for me to deal with the irritating factors of parts kits since I DIY.

Also, make note, it is not DST4, just DST and DS4.

I currently use Poseidon second stages on Hog D1 first stages with no issues, have used the Hog Classic second stages on some quite technical dives and people are using the D3/Zeniths on deep cave exploration in Wakulla right now.

Hogs don't reverse, Apeks do. Hogs don't have the different exhaust T's, Apeks do. Both things that are personal preference and may or may not be useful for you. The Hogs are very capable regulators and other than brand preference or potential resale value, there isn't much leaning in Apeks favor. I think they look better, especially the XTX200 second stages, but not enough for me to deal with the irritating factors of parts kits since I DIY.

Also, make note, it is not DST4, just DST and DS4.

I currently use Poseidon second stages on Hog D1 first stages with no issues, have used the Hog Classic second stages on some quite technical dives and people are using the D3/Zeniths on deep cave exploration in Wakulla right now.

HOG does sell a reversible second stage for a little more money than their standard model.
HOG Zenith Reversible Second Stage Chrome - Second Stage - Regulators - Products

I recently went through this very dilemma based the the very list of the OP. I chose Apeks/DST in the end.

Thanks for those opinion. Some are quite interesting especially the maintenance difference when using sealed piston compared to sealed diaphragm. Also, I am not diving yet in cold water but may in the next few years, having somthing less prone to freeflow in that kind of condition is also to take in consideration.
So - whatever I love Atomic 2nd stage - it seems it would be more appropriate to go for diaphragm reg.
Now, when I compare HOG D3/Zenith with DS4 (or DST4) and XTX50, the price is very different (300-500 USD of difference for a full twinset), it doesn't play that much in favor of Apeks.
Who already dove using D3/Zenith setup. How does it compare to DST/XTX50?

Last but not least, some of you said I should use something that is available in my country of residence. If I follow this, I would never check Atomic (you have only one shop for the whole country). My choice would be restricted to:
- Mares (hum... can't imagine this in tech)
- Apeks
- Aqualung
- Scubapro (don't really like them and not as available as the other brands)
So my choice would be limited as you can see: Only Aqualung and Apeks would be really possible. I may also consider Aqualung but still, would like have more opinion regarding HOG :wink:

Thanks a lot

Apeks and Aqualung are sister companies, both owned by Air Liquide of France. I would not recommend Aqualung as I don't think you will get good hose routing from the first stages. Hog regulators are made by Ocean Diver Supply in Taiwan. They are based on Apeks designs so a technician familiar with Apeks should have no problem serving them.

If you move fast you can get this deal.

Back
Top Bottom