two piece v. one piece

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In my experience one piece is the way to go for buoyancy reasons. As soon as I add a second layer I cannot add enough weight and fight buoyancy the whole dive.

I have a 7mm two piece farmer john, a 5mm one piece with a second 5mm sleeveless jacket that can be added and a 3mm one piece.

In fresh water I can dive the 3mm with 4 pounds. The 5mm with 8 pounds, which I can probably trim to 6. When I add the second layer to the 5mm I can go up to 12 pounds and have to swim to get down and fight to stay down.

The 7mm two piece the least I have been able to dive is 16 pounds, again have to swim to get under and fight to stay down in shallow water. Then once I get to depth I have to start pumping air.

With all that said, I am now saving my pennies for a dry suit.

I too am in the same dilemma. I dive in Monterey and I'm trying to decide between a two piece 7 mm farmer john or a one piece 7 mm with maybe a vest or something to go with it.

What are the price ranges for these kind of suits?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom