Two Piece WetSuit or One Piece WetSuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

z28pwr

Reaction score
What do you guys think about the Two piece wetsuits, can they keep you as warm and are they as confortable as a single piece wetsuit ? I would assume that a 2 piece would allow more water in then a single piece.

What do you guys think about Akona wetsuits ?

Thanks.

Do you mean farmer john by two piece? If so, they do keep you warmer than a one piece of same thickness. I regularly dive in below 50 degree water in my 7mm FJ. On the other hand, they restrict your movement a little bit more and require more weight to offset the extra bouyency. You need to figure out the temp that you'll be diving in and get the appropriate exposure suit.

Akona makes fine suits, don't necessarily go with the brand name, get something that fits at the right price.

Henderson's Core Warmer Combo. The one piece can be worn alone, without the Core Warmer, where a farmer john style is not as practical separately. I just used my Henderson 7mm Gold Core Core Warmer Combo this weekend for the first time. It kicked a$$. At 87 feet and 37 degrees, I was good to go. The surface was in the upper 40's and that was like bath water.

I am sold. I fretted about being to cold but it proved itself.

Something to look at and versitale.

Juls

I think you'll get people who will say both. Some think that a one piece is warmer, if it fits well, because less water circulates. Plus there is no exposed armpit areas, like the FJ. Some think the FJ is warmer because of the extra layering. My wife has recently moved to a one piece (we dive Montgerey, 55 degree water average) and feels no colder than when she wore a two piece. I like the FJ, with a hooded vest because I am a wimp in cold water. I think if it fits you well, then it wont matter too much. Obviuously, a two piece will give you FAR less mobility. That is for sure...

:guitar:

Thank you everyone for your opinions. I think Michael Schlink brought up an interesting point about combining a 3mil and 5mil. Just wonder that does it really work? Have anyone ever tried that?

Eclipes785, you just indirectly answered a question I had in my mind during my OW last weekend. I wore a two-piece wetsuit and had a hard time trying to sink. I ended up had to put more weight (more than 10% of my body weight).

Michael Schlink, are you suggesting me to get a 3mil and a 5mil? Then when I want to dive in the colder area, I could wear both to create a virtual 8mil suit? That sounds like a genius idea! Does it really work? Have you tried it?

Go with a 1 piece to get a single membrane over your body. The if you need more add a hooded vest of some sort. The vest will mute the back zipper seepage and eliminate the neck opening flow. It will also privide the extra core warmth.

Pete

I agree with Spectrum. Some LDS try to sell FJs and being "flexible" in the sense of "wear only the top when its warm." Well, then you're legs are exposed. If you get a one piece then go hooded vest, your whole body is covered and you add layers to your core. The only reason I found for the FJ is you can find them on the clearance rack for mad cheap.

I like the farmer jon I don't think it is as restrictive as a one piece and hooded vest. Although when I first bought I did intend to wear only the top when It was warmer. Never have.

I like the FJ. With a hood and gloves you stay pretty warm.

As far as being flexible goes, I wear the bottom with a long sleeve pull over rash guard top instead of wearing just the top of the FJ when it gets warmer. That way you still have skin protection all over.

spectrum:
Go with a 1 piece to get a single membrane over your body. The if you need more add a hooded vest of some sort. The vest will mute the back zipper seepage and eliminate the neck opening flow. It will also privide the extra core warmth.

Pete

What Pete said! Exactly my setup; works well till you drop into the 40's.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom