two pieces or semi-dry ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ubosky

Reaction score
Hi all,
a very beginner's question (just done my OW dives):
I'm thinking of buying a suit and I think I will use it to dive the mediterranean and maybe the red sea (if GWB don't drop to many bombs on the area :rolleyes: ), so let's water temp between 15 and 25 °C ( approx. 60 - 80 °F).
What you think it's better, a semi-dry suit or 5-5 mm two pieces (I mean a full 5mm + a jacket-shorty, not a farmer john + jacket)?
What are the pro-cons of them? (of course semi-dry is warmer, two pieces can be more flexible - one can use just the steamer in warmer water...)

Thanx in advance for your advice

I have been doing similiar research and have heard a lot of good things about the Xcel 765. It is a one piece and you can get a hooded vest with it. They look very well made and started out as a company in Hawaii making suits for surfers.
I was comparing it to the Henderson Stretch line and Gold core but have seen a lot of posts about the stitching coming out and after a dozen or so dives they looked very used. Also seen a few posts about them ripping.

Neoprene floats. Two piece suits require more of it to provide the same warmth. Therefore, more weight. Less weight is good. The semidry (or semiwet) wins by virtue of needing less weight to be added to the weight belt. I love mine. I use a 7/5 mil semi dry for anything from 75 degrees farenheit down to about 45. Hope this helps. (I would suggest you consider ankle zippers as mine requires knee high nylon stockings to get it on without danger of tearing it.)

Depends where you live. If it's Europe, check out Camaro (Austria) or Waterproof (Sweden), both have excellent semi-drys with dry zippers. Scubapro sells a good one over here too, the Scotia. Less neoprene and warmer than any two-piece I've ever used.

Semi dry suits should of never been created. They are absolutely worthless. If the suit dosent fit you absolutely perfect you'll get a suit squeeze every time you go down and if your a guy you'll get a squeeze in a certain place even if the suit does fit you properly. Essentially what a semi dry suit is, is a $150 wetsuit with a $350 zipper. With your water temp being around 15 and 25 °C you could easily wear a one peice 6mm wet suit for the 60°F area. and a 2mm to 3mm for the 80°.

Hi cnidae,

Obviously there are different semi dry suits around - my "semi dry" (it's such a bad name) is a wetsuit with a wetsuit zipper - it has neoprene neck and ankle seals. I have seen the variety with the drysuit zipper, but have not used one. I've since replaced mine with a drysuit, because a semi dry just as bad as a regular wetsuit for getting cold during surface intervals.

All I can say is I could wear my 7mm semi dry, and still be warmer and carry less weight than buddies with two piece 6.5mm suits. So, warmer than a regular wetsuit, requires less weight, and definitely cheaper than any drysuit except maybe a used clunker from eBay. So they have their place.

I must admit I have never heard of anyone getting "suit squeeze" in a semi-dry wetsuit before.

On a different note, PM me about TDI Advanced Nitrox - I'm looking for a class in a few months :)

cnidae once bubbled...
Semi dry suits should of never been created. They are absolutely worthless. If the suit dosent fit you absolutely perfect you'll get a suit squeeze every time you go down and if your a guy you'll get a squeeze in a certain place even if the suit does fit you properly. Essentially what a semi dry suit is, is a $150 wetsuit with a $350 zipper. With your water temp being around 15 and 25 °C you could easily wear a one peice 6mm wet suit for the 60°F area. and a 2mm to 3mm for the 80°.
I bought mine of off the rack after carefully looking at the size charts. It does not fit me absolutely perfectly. It works great. I have never experienced any kind of squeeze (and last time I checked I was still a guy.) The suit lets water in and through just as a normal wetsuit does. It just does it much slower. Therefore, you stay warmer. I bought mine brand new for $198 (US), that included the $350 dollar zipper. :rolleyes: If you can't find one off of the rack that will fit you decently, you can get one custom fit for $280. :)

The two-piece route is a bad idea. That much more neoprene that much more weight on your weight-belt! All bad, plus I don't think it keeps you any warmer than a single piece 5mm. I dive a lot of winter water in South Africa (being a relatively small guy tend to get cold quickly even in warm water) in a 5mm semi-dry. It changed my diving. It is warm(er), convenient, and improved my bottom time!

ok first let me clarify something
semi dry just means that unless it fits you like its designed its not semi dry any more if the seals fit and everything fit like its suppose too they can be great , and as for two piece or one piece its personal choice in colder environment a two piece is better due to add warmth, one piece easy put one and easy take off ect . in winter time I dive my henderson gold two piece in summer time a henderson one piece . and yes you do have to ad more weight with two piece as more rubber or neoprene
and personally I love my henderson gold core
some ask why hears the reasons
one very durable , fits me good , drys really fast , and easy to get on,and is warm all the makings of a good suit .

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom