Two Recent Cave Dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RTodd

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Okay, since there was some push to show we do just do fun, dives, I figured I would post a short summary of two cave dives where discussing the logistics might be useful to some of you. Plus, it has been dead in ths forum.

First Dive. I can't really give site names but I think this one was near Nahoch. Dive time 3 hours, average depth 27'. Two stages and AL80 back gas. Two many team. The first stage was dropped at 1/2 + 100 and the second stage was to be turned at 1/2. I turned the dive before hitting halves on the second stage at 100 minutes because the swim out was going to get ridiculous. (I think rjack was complaning about two swim dives in Mayan and I had a hard time not making fun of him in that thread so I will do it here.) We were planning on using 1/4 of our total gas for penetration which was plenty to swim out in these circumstance. On a dive of this distance, while this is pretty conservative, I would be hesitant to push gas any further. Technically, you could do the same dive with thirds using one stage, but then you start to lose flexibility and given the distance lugging an extra stage, even though swimming, is worth it.

Second Dive. Nahoch to the Blue Abyss. Triple Stage and AL80 back. Two long body Gavins per team member. Three man team. Dive time 185 minutes, max depth of 80' and average depth of 19'. Plan, burn first scooter for 40 minutes, and switch to second. Switch first stage at 1/2 + 100 and go to second stage. Drop all stages and scooters at restriction to Blue Abyss. Third stage is bailout plus assuming everything is going smoothly when we exit the restriciton, gives us gas to recalc and explore additional tunnel based on how much back gas is used going to the Blue Abyss. Actual dive, swithced scooters at 40 minutes of burn time (45 or so bottom time) and dropped first stage at 50-60 minutes. Don't remember exactly. Dropped remaining two stages and both scooters at 70 minutes so it had about 20+ minutes of remaining penetration burn time.

Went to back gas to see the Blue Abyss. I had never actually been here before. Scootering Nahoch, which I have done a lot is spectacular. And, getting to see the cave go from a fairly restricted area to a pit that drops to 220 with a tanic section on the ceiling at 5-10 feet, and an indistinct halocline around 40 feet or so was really cool. But the trip there an back is actually much prettier. Due to its fame the restricted area leading to the Abyss is far more beat up than similiar cave that is this far out but less well known in the area. We got back to the stages with over 2k in our back gas.

Then plan was to go to the full stage and explore the line we were on. However, I had well over 2k in my second stage so I went to it and decided to recalc to 1/2 of what was left + a few hundred PSI. Don't remember exactly now. We picked up the same scooter and took off. We turned slightly after this because one team member started having ear troubles. I ended up using the stage I was on for the entire exit so actual gas usage was less than 160cuft out of a total of 400cuft. If we had executed the entire dive as planned it would have been a max of 200 cuft resulting in a reserve of 50% i.e. enough to do the whole dive over again. Since we were turning at scooter burn time, we really wouldn't have used more than about 20cf more of gas. So max gas usage would have involved using up to 1/4 of the available gas for penetration. But, we would have never been at max distance. So, it would have taken less gas to exit at any point i.e. the actual reserve in gas was always better than 1/4, more like 1/5+. And there was technically a bailout cenote around 5k (but a very poor option that was not actually part of the planning).

Wow some day i hope i can put a post like that in here
hoping to do cave one this summer

Thanks for the post, definitely some interesting reading.

Nice, RTodd -- I would love to see some pics of the Blue Abyss.

We saw Danny and Bruno do the same dive while we were there recently (complaining about our 45 min swim in on Parker/Charlie line :)

That cave is beautiful, and seeing the Blue Abyss is my long (long -- 5 year :) cave diving goal (still working up to C2 in 2009 hopefully -- will be a long time before I take a scooter in a cave).

Nohoch is just the most beautiful cave ....

http://nickambrose.com/diving/movies/mx-nohoch-parkercharlie-feb-2008.mov

nice. as soon as I saw the blue abyss on the Nahoch maps it has been a [distant] dream to go see it. Unfortunatly there is lots of experience needed on my part before even thinking about such a dive.

But I must admit, seeing a couple of scooter divers zip by us in the cave does look pretty sweet.

That cave is probably one of the best scooter dives in the area. It is simply huge and goes forever. Unfortunately, despite its size, it does show some signs of the increased abuse of scooters. Danny and Bruno's dive was why I was finally able to do it. I have been all over the area that leads to the Blue Abyss and gone significnatly past it before. I have even swam past it which is a brutal dive. Danny and Chris were arguing about where the jumps were in the pre-dive. I have been on several dives with both of them seperately where we did not find it. Years ago I was in the area when George, who put the line in, was complaining about not being able to find it after diving there.

I don't have any pictures. My wife had my camera elsewhere and Danny's was in for repair. However, the Blue Abyss actually wouldn't take very good pictures. It is just a pit. The other parts of Nahoch are far better dives and more photogenic.

While I enjoy scooters and tend to do a bunch of scooter dives while I am down there, the caves in Mexico are best experienced swimming. Some dives, like Nahoch and Pax Chen, are exceptions. For most dives, scooters are just a means of getting to a distant section of cave where you swim. Plus, spending 3 hours on the trigger lugging 3+ stages tends to fall more in the work catagory than the fun catagory. So, while the dives sound cool, the simpler stuff is often more fun. I remember my first dive from Mayan Blue to Naharon and back better than some other much more logistcally intensive dives.

The best dive of this trip was just a single scooter dive + swimming in a new cave that is still being actively explored. I think it was just in Quest. This cave had great canyons and plenty of promising leads to look at, but neither the distance nor the logistics were that big of a deal.

Plus, spending 3 hours on the trigger lugging 3+ stages tends to fall more in the work catagory than the fun catagory. So, while the dives sound cool, the simpler stuff is often more fun. I remember my first dive from Mayan Blue to Naharon and back better than some other much more logistcally intensive dives.

I was delighted to read this, because my reaction to your original post was, "Those dives sound like more WORK than FUN!"

For most dives, scooters are just a means of getting to a distant section of cave where you swim.

This is how I view scooters in general, in or out of caves. I just can't convince any of my buddies to do the kick-diving part any more :)

. (I think rjack was complaning about two swim dives in Mayan and I had a hard time not making fun of him in that thread so I will do it here.)

Lol, after this past trip I have a new limit. One (nautical) mile of swimming per day (~6100ft). After that I'm just too damned worn out to a) enjoy the dive much or b) focus. Limeyx and I did back to back penetrations in Mayan Blue A and B tunnels. We did this on day 4 I think. I would much rather a section of cave once (maybe slightly further but slightly slower too) then go in and out twice.

The dives above were far more in the fun catagory. But, it is all relative depending on your experience. If I can get away with just one stage or two stages and no tow scooter, etc. the dive feels much more relaxing whereas when I first started doing those types of dives they were a lot of work. For me, the third stage makes the dive a lot less fun, particularly in Mexico where they aren't netural with helium. Danny and Chris lug 8 stages at a time plus 3 scooters to set up for some exploration dives. So, the amount of gear they can carry and still consider it a relaxing fun dive is obviously much higher.

Most people tend to get enamoured with scooters (I am guilty) and just want to do scooter dives all of the time. After time, they either tend to start appreciating taking their time and seeing stuff swimming or drop out of diving. I rarely use scooters in open water anymore. While they are a lot of fun on easy to navigate wall dives and are useful if you need to cover a lot of ground when shore diving, most of the time they end up becoming the whole point of the dive and that gets old.

Plus, dealing with navigation where the terrain isn't conducive to easy navigation makes them more trouble than they are worth. The coral bommies offshore Cairns, Australia for instance all look the same but aren't continuous. So, keeping up with which ones you are jumping between with long expanses of sand between them where you have to compass nav makes the dive a lot of work where just hanging on one or two sections of reef taking pictures is relaxing.

Lol, after this past trip I have a new limit. One (nautical) mile of swimming per day (~6100ft). After that I'm just too damned worn out to a) enjoy the dive much or b) focus. Limeyx and I did back to back penetrations in Mayan Blue A and B tunnels. We did this on day 4 I think. I would much rather a section of cave once (maybe slightly further but slightly slower too) then go in and out twice.

You would be amazed at how much just getting in and out of the water twice beats on you. I generally do just one 3-4 hour dive per day now rather than two 90-120 minute dives and it is actually less total effort. Granted, most of those dives usually involve trigger time which spares your legs but wears on other areas, particularly your concentration. Focus is a big issue. Around the 2 hour mark on swim dives I really have to concentrate to maintain my focus and at 3 hours it starts to lapse. Depending on where that limit is for a diver they need to be prepared to turn in time to still be enjoying the dive and focused on all of the essentials. It is probably one of the most dangerous parts of longer dives. Longer being relative to experience and general physical condition.

I remember the first time I broke the 120 minute mark on the penetration leg of a cave dive. I was getting tired and starting to have to push to keep going. When we turned around I finally realized, oh crap, I have to do this all over again to get out now. Sort of obvious, but you don't always factor that in due to the excitement of a dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom