Two Tank Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If the inflation bottle is mounted inverted along the edge of the backplate, it's pretty easy to reach the valve to shut it off in the event the first stage freezes open or the inflator sticks. In the case of a frozen first stage, it will thaw in a few minutes and if the inflator stays stuck you can add air to the suit by manipulating the tank valve as needed.

You can also set the intermediate pressure of this first stage much lower than the 120 to 145 psi that your breathing regulators will be running at. This slows the flow rate which reduces problems in the event something sticks (first stage or inflator valve) and reduces the potential for either of the above problems to occur.

As for the air vs argon thing there are strong supporters on both sides of the issue. I used to be an Argon believer but my experience and a double blind study has not supported any real operational advantage with Argon. It is theoretically about 1/3 less efficient in conducting heat than air, but to get full benefit requires fully purging the air out of the suit and that takes a couple of dives or a few full inflation and dumps (which still will not get the air out of the insulating fibers as efficiently as diving the suit). So at best if you are using argon you probably want really comfortable seals and a pee valve as well so you can just leave the suit on all day long to derive maximum benefit.

Both air or argon however will keep you much warmer than helium, so a separate inflation tank is par for the course for cold water tri-mix divers.

Helium can actually cause extreme hypothermia if you've got a lot of it in your mix; you simply can't stay warm.

Another interesting thing is on the argon bottle's first stage, you have to have an overpressure valve. Normally a downstream reg is the overpressure valve (it just freeflows), but since you don't have a first stage a runaway IP could blow the hose up or other nasty things, so you have a valve on the first stage that does the same as the reg on a normal setup.

Wow. Thanks for all the replies. It was a big help. Next time I dive, I want to be able to see if I can reach the tank valve. Thanks again.

John

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom