Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

..Insofar, I've booked 3 nights in Orlando..., 3 nights in Crystal River, 2 nights in Naples, 6 nights in Key Largo.

Since you have already booked nights, you're already committed to a set schedule.
You should be asking for restaurant ideas instead.

So in Orlando go to Taverna Opa, Howl at the Moon, and Animal Kingdom's Pandora at night with a twilight animal safari.

I wouldn't worry about pre-booked, as august is off season and things can be cancelled easily and re-booked to fit a better schedule,

Pre paid is different, though . . .

Also, if you like nature things and this is not necessary a full-on dive-only trip, there is a canoe trip near Orlando that you should not miss. This is called Rock Springs Run, and the outfitter that rents the canoes and transports you is called King's Landing canoe rental. Rock springs run is about 8 miles long, spring fed, clear, and goes through some of the most beautiful forests and wetlands you can imagine. Sometimes, it is like floating on air, due to the clarity. Usually lots of birds including wading birds. This is only 1/2 hour north of Orlando and easily reached. Sometimes deer, allgators, bear can be seen as well. But, the glory is the forest, clear stream, beauty of the area. I would swap this for a day at a theme park. In fact, I go to Orlando regularly and have not been to any theme park in 35 years, but hit Rock Springs at least twice a year.

There are also notably beautiful canoe trips near Crystal River if you stay there--Weekie Wachee River and Chassahowitska River are the best. Each is an easy day trip. Do not do Crystal River or Homosassa River as they are highly developed and lack the pure natural beauty.

Since you have already booked nights, you're already committed to a set schedule.
You should be asking for restaurant ideas instead.

So in Orlando go to Taverna Opa, Howl at the Moon, and Animal Kingdom's Pandora at night with a twilight animal safari.

Not really, it's an idea of a schedule, the only place I can't cancel is Crystal River and it's good because my partner want to golf.
We're trying to see as much different things as we can, and dive.
But now, we just decided not to take our gear with us, so we won't be able to dive as much as if we'd taken it.

I wouldn't worry about pre-booked, as august is off season and things can be cancelled easily and re-booked to fit a better schedule,

Pre paid is different, though . . .

Also, if you like nature things and this is not necessary a full-on dive-only trip, there is a canoe trip near Orlando that you should not miss. This is called Rock Springs Run, and the outfitter that rents the canoes and transports you is called King's Landing canoe rental. Rock springs run is about 8 miles long, spring fed, clear, and goes through some of the most beautiful forests and wetlands you can imagine. Sometimes, it is like floating on air, due to the clarity. Usually lots of birds including wading birds. This is only 1/2 hour north of Orlando and easily reached. Sometimes deer, allgators, bear can be seen as well. But, the glory is the forest, clear stream, beauty of the area. I would swap this for a day at a theme park. In fact, I go to Orlando regularly and have not been to any theme park in 35 years, but hit Rock Springs at least twice a year.

There are also notably beautiful canoe trips near Crystal River if you stay there--Weekie Wachee River and Chassahowitska River are the best. Each is an easy day trip. Do not do Crystal River or Homosassa River as they are highly developed and lack the pure natural beauty.

Exactly, cancelling is quite easy.

That's great, good ideas for other activities.

I'm trying to convince my partner that theme park are gonna be a nightmare in august but he really wants to go to universal studio. I would swap it for anything since I really don't care about theme park ... but travelling with someone is making concessions :D
So no choice.

Orlando because of universal studio and Crystal River because the deal was super super great and he wants to golf :/

Otherwise, everything is still completly open. Even if spending a week in the keys is really really tempting !

OK, then:

Orlando: one day canoeing Rock Springs Run. One day theme park. One day free (Alexander or Blue Springs dive, or back to theme park if you must)

Crystal River: One day golf. One day canoeing Weekee Wachee River, one day free (manatee trip, or more golf, or canoe Chassahowitzka River, or dive Rainbow River--recommended shop for manatee trip or Rainbow River is Birds Underwater).

Drop the 2 nites in Naples. Take those, plus the 6 you planned for Key Largo, and instead do:

4-5 nites Key Largo, with reef/wreck dives in Pennekamp, and a option to do a Key West for the Vandenberg, one night Key West, and a trip to Looe Key the next morning on the way back to Key Largo.

3-4 nites West Palm/Boynton/Jupiter including one day at Blue Heron Bridge (macro) and there rest on reefs (turtles) and wrecks (goliath grouper).

Dont worry about not having your own gear. Most good Florida shops have good quality rental gear.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom