Type of barcodes used in dive shops for rental lines?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aquanex

Co-Owner of YourBagTag.com
ScubaBoard Business Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
We had a number of requests at DEMA for equipment tags for dive shop rental lines that could be read by barcode scanners in dive shops. We believe we have a solution but need to understand what barcode types are being used. Any insight to this would be greatly appreciated.

-Steve

Hi Steve,

I'm the part-owner / Manager of a busy dive center in Bali, Indonesia. We don't use any barcode system yet but have been thinking of barcoding all our rental gear AND tanks. This is because we have one central location but run trips to several destinations each day.

I've no experience with anything like this so am interested to learn as much as I can about it, both about which kind of barcodes would be used (this is the question you posed) and also the software interface for it. To keep things simple (KISS) I'm imagining that each item of rental gear or each tank would be logged out to whichever of our field staff (DM, Instructor, driver) was in charge of that program.

I wonder which kind of barcode and software interface I could use to implement this?

Here is a photo of the prototype tag using Code 128 barcode standard. Upon further research, it seems that most systems will scan most standard barcode configurations. I used Code 128 as it allow for alpha numeric code so that shops may want to have different alpha for gear such as R for regulator, BC, TK, etc.

Barcode-Tag.jpg

Bali-Freak,

I have no experience in point-of-sale/dive operations software. We manufacture and sell name and identification tags for scuba, travel, etc as well as for dive operations - equipment rental identification, client id. However, I came across this offering in my research: Dive Centre HQ: Web Software to Manage Your Scuba Dive Shop - Dive Centre HQ . They seem to be located in the UK but service dive operations around the world. I don't know if that will help. If you ever need tags for your gear, clients, etc. - let us know!

Good luck in your search.

-Steve
Personlized Luggage Tags | Bag Tags - YourBagTag.com

---------- Post added January 16th, 2014 at 06:42 AM ----------

Forgot to say what the tag is made of ...

The tag is made of 2-ply industrial outdoor sign plastic so it holds up really well to the outdoor elements, saltwater, etc. It is 1/16 inch thick.

Thanks - it's good info for me. However I have the horrible feeling this is one of those issues that gets more complicated the more you look into it. I prefer things that get more simple the closer we look at them :)

Also thanks for the DC management software pointer. I'm a Brit myself so I might go and have a chat with them next time I'm in town.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom