Types and placement of reels and lift devices?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kr2y5

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm sorry if this was discussed before, but I haven't come across a definitive answer, so let me try a new thread.

I'm trying to optimize my equipment for upcoming tech training (AN/DP, perhaps in future Adv. Rec. Trimix), and wreck diving in cold water, with drysuit and in dry gloves. I'm trying to decide what reels I need, and where best to place them. Wherever ambiguity arises, I'm inclined to follow the DIR principles, but I don't feel strongly about it, so didn't want to stick it in the DIR forum. I'd appreciate any suggestions. I know, I'm probably splitting hair in four...

1) From what I've read, for the kinds of training and dives I want to do, it is expected to have a primary reel with 200-300 feet of #36 line. I have a side handle Light Monkey reel with 250 feet of #36, it won't fit in the drysuit pockets. I'd clip it on the left hip, but reel hip attachment is apparently non-DIR, and I'd like to eventually have 2 stage bottles hanging there, that won't work. I'd try the right hip, but that hip is forbidden. The only place that seems legal is a butt D-ring. I just cannot wrap my head around the idea of having an object this bulky dance around on top of my butt or poke me in the kidneys throughout the entire dive. Furthermore, if I don't keep it attached to the lift bag and try to use it thorughout the dive, it seems cumbersone, and a potential for entanglement in a place that's harder to reach. Is butt D-ring what everyone does, or is there a better option?

2) I've also been told that I'll need a lift bag with >80 lbs of lift that I might need to shoot from depth, and in a heavy current, to lift me with all the stages. I purchased the Halcyon's 80lbs bag, and I'm scratching my head... I've been told it's generally a good idea to have lift devices attached to reels. The only reel that seems long and strong enough to be worthy of a bag with much lift would be my primary reel. Carrying two of those on my butt D-ring does not seem to make a ton of sense. That seems to suggest keeping the primary reel attached to the lift bag. That doesn't seem very practical if I want to use the reel as guideline, for navigation. What's best? Keeping lift bag unattached to anything and tucked in behind the backplate? Carrying another bulky reel just for lift bag deployment? Shooting a lift bag from a large finger spool? I can imagine lots of reasons for or against each. BTW, how thick do I need the line to be?

3) Next, we move to the first backups. I've got a 40lbs SMB, and a 70-feet spool of #24 line (probably too short). Those allegedly belong, attached to one-another, in left drysuit pocket (or not? but other places are taken or forbidden), and they fit very nicely. But a spool this short won't really be of any use at depth, and the hole for my finger, standard-sized, looks like it won't be large enough for dry gloves. In order for this "backup" to really be a reliable backup that could be successfully deployed when stressed out after losing my primary, I estimate I'll need something easy to use and with 150-200 feet of #24 line. None of the "cold water" spools carries enough line. Regular spools looks like they would be hard to operate in dry gloves (perhaps except for the metal ones, but some people argue these are too negatively buoyant, and are prone to getting dropped). None of the small reels with handles will fit in the drysuit pockets. What am I missing?

4) Finally, the second backup. I'm assuming I don't need a 3rd lift device. I've been told, however, that I need minimum of 3 reels (some carry 4). What kind of reel or spool would you recommend? A safety reel? This seems popular for some reason. As far as I can tell, a safety reel seems to be defined as a reel smaller than the primary, maybe with knots on the line (or not?). What kind and size of safety reel makes most sense for wreck diving? In what circumstances would you use it in wreck of deep diving, oither than as a backup when you lose the primary reel?

Are there any other guidelines for choice and placement of reels and lift devices you could point to?

What does your tech instructor recommend? Are you looking at cave or deep wrecks? Have you taken a good.intro to tech course? Do you have a copy of The Tao of Survival Underwater? Sounds like you're putting the cart before the horse buying all this stuff that your instructor may tell you to leave at home.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

I see it as the classic problem of going tech. You take (and pay for) the quantum leap with little or no up-front guidance other than that given by the person selling tech gear.

DR-BC1030Modular Tech Butt Plate w/assembly screws

I got one of these from dive rite. allowed me to use hip locations without using the rig d ring. Its about 80 usd

I went with the butt ring.
Primary on left, spool in middle, safety / lift bag reel.
I carry one or two spools in my pockets along with back up light and wet notes.
Extra mask in my left pocket.

I have used Dive Right Primarys, Blue safety reels, then 50' / 100' spools made of derlin.
If caving then I roll with Light Monkey reels Primary, back up, safety, two or three jump spools.
This is my practice however your instructor is the one who should be telling you what to use.

Good luck train well.

CamG

on a dive I know I am going to be using the reel I put it on my right chest Dring. If I am not sure if I am going to use it I put it on my butt dring.
SMB plus spool go in the left pocket. I don't bring spare lift devices, that's what buddies are for.

I'm sorry if this was discussed before, but I haven't come across a definitive answer, so let me try a new thread.

I'm trying to optimize my equipment for upcoming tech training (AN/DP, perhaps in future Adv. Rec. Trimix), and wreck diving in cold water, with drysuit and in dry gloves. I'm trying to decide what reels I need, and where best to place them. Wherever ambiguity arises, I'm inclined to follow the DIR principles, but I don't feel strongly about it, so didn't want to stick it in the DIR forum. I'd appreciate any suggestions. I know, I'm probably splitting hair in four...

1) From what I've read, for the kinds of training and dives I want to do, it is expected to have a primary reel with 200-300 feet of #36 line. I have a side handle Light Monkey reel with 250 feet of #36, it won't fit in the drysuit pockets. I'd clip it on the left hip, but reel hip attachment is apparently non-DIR, and I'd like to eventually have 2 stage bottles hanging there, that won't work. I'd try the right hip, but that hip is forbidden. The only place that seems legal is a butt D-ring. I just cannot wrap my head around the idea of having an object this bulky dance around on top of my butt or poke me in the kidneys throughout the entire dive. Furthermore, if I don't keep it attached to the lift bag and try to use it thorughout the dive, it seems cumbersone, and a potential for entanglement in a place that's harder to reach. Is butt D-ring what everyone does, or is there a better option?

butt d-ring is a fairly reasonable option for a reel. It seems ridiculous, but in practice, its fine. The trick is getting the d-ring in the right place. I've carried small reels, spools (ill advised...) 1200' reels, scooters, backplates (yea, weird right?), scientific instruments, even a diver on a few occasions, and all kinds of nutty stuff back there. Its fine.

) I've also been told that I'll need a lift bag with >80 lbs of lift that I might need to shoot from depth, and in a heavy current, to lift me with all the stages. I purchased the Halcyon's 80lbs bag, and I'm scratching my head... I've been told it's generally a good idea to have lift devices attached to reels. The only reel that seems long and strong enough to be worthy of a bag with much lift would be my primary reel. Carrying two of those on my butt D-ring does not seem to make a ton of sense. That seems to suggest keeping the primary reel attached to the lift bag. That doesn't seem very practical if I want to use the reel as guideline, for navigation. What's best? Keeping lift bag unattached to anything and tucked in behind the backplate? Carrying another bulky reel just for lift bag deployment? Shooting a lift bag from a large finger spool? I can imagine lots of reasons for or against each. BTW, how thick do I need the line to be?

I do not believe in using a lift bag as redundant buoyancy. Research the concept of "balanced rig". A lift bag is for things like anchors and sunken treasure, not for scuba divers.

) Next, we move to the first backups. I've got a 40lbs SMB, and a 70-feet spool of #24 line (probably too short). Those allegedly belong, attached to one-another, in left drysuit pocket (or not? but other places are taken or forbidden), and they fit very nicely. But a spool this short won't really be of any use at depth, and the hole for my finger, standard-sized, looks like it won't be large enough for dry gloves. In order for this "backup" to really be a reliable backup that could be successfully deployed when stressed out after losing my primary, I estimate I'll need something easy to use and with 150-200 feet of #24 line. None of the "cold water" spools carries enough line. Regular spools looks like they would be hard to operate in dry gloves (perhaps except for the metal ones, but some people argue these are too negatively buoyant, and are prone to getting dropped). None of the small reels with handles will fit in the drysuit pockets. What am I missing?

70ft is too small. 150ft is more like it. The hole in the middle is NOT for your finger. Sticking your finger in there is recipe for a bad time. 150' spool w/ SMB attached will fit in a pocket. Halcyon makes a spool that's the same size as their old 150' one that holds 200'. Pretty cool, and it beats a reel any day.

) Finally, the second backup. I'm assuming I don't need a 3rd lift device. I've been told, however, that I need minimum of 3 reels (some carry 4). What kind of reel or spool would you recommend? A safety reel? This seems popular for some reason. As far as I can tell, a safety reel seems to be defined as a reel smaller than the primary, maybe with knots on the line (or not?). What kind and size of safety reel makes most sense for wreck diving? In what circumstances would you use it in wreck of deep diving, oither than as a backup when you lose the primary reel?

Are there any other guidelines for choice and placement of reels and lift devices you could point to?

I don't know why you need 3. Primary, backup, and then your buddy has a primary and a backup. Extra stuff will only serve to clutter your world and make diving less enjoyable.

To recap - spool and SMB in pocket. backup smb in backplate pad, extra spool (if you really need it) in your other pocket. Reel (if you need it) on the butt d-ring.

Fwiw, the "forbidden" things aren't arbitrary. They have a reason. Like you said, the reel on the hip can get a little busy with stages (its reasonable with 1, but not great), and a right hip d-ring can interfere with the long hose (which is pretty important). I don't like chest d-rings for reels. up front stuff = more drag (and you've got enough with all your tech stuff), and both the chest d-rings get pretty busy with stages/deco bottles, lights, wetnotes, and other accoutrements. The less I have on my chest the happier camper I am.

Thanks, everyone! Jim, to answer your question, I am planning on deep wreck diving, no caves in predictable future. What would you suggest? I am going through the intro course and my instructor has some favorites, but I am not satisfied with just blindly following the instructor, no matter how good. Instructors have their personal favorites and can be biased, I like to seek other people's accounts of what works of them, and their reasoning behind their choices, and ultimately make my own decision after ingesting all data. It sounds like you may disagree with some of the equipment choices, what would you replace?

[/FONT]
butt d-ring is a fairly reasonable option for a reel. It seems ridiculous, but in practice, its fine. The trick is getting the d-ring in the right place. ...//...

Couldn't agree more.

D-Rings.jpg

Disclaimer- I am GUE fundies trained so that is where my opinion is coming from.

First off, for reels there is no rule saying that the left hip is out of the question. If you are not carrying stage it works very well. The butt d-ring also works well if positioned correctly. The real stays out of the way and behind the doubles I hardly notice one when I carry it.

second, there are several spots for a lift bag. Get a backplate pad and store it in there between the pad and the plate. The other place I have seen it stored is on a stage bottle. Keep the bag separate from the reel. You do not need your bag line to be thick. I use a "100ft" finger spool with 130ft of the DGX hi-viz line on it. (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED) the hi-viz line from DGX does not twist like normal line, is smaller and is stronger.

third, the way GUE defines pocket use: Left for utility, right for safety.

My left has a primary SMB- a small primed smb with the same 100ft spool with 130ft of hi viz line on it, extra double enders and an extra spool
My right has a larger SMB that is not primed, an extra spool as a safety spool, backup mask and sheers.

fourth, A 100ft spool will work just fine for what you need

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom