Typhoon Drysuits

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JDostal

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
So...what's the general opinion of Typhoon Drysuits? I just bought one of their suits, used, from a fellow diver.

It's a trilam shell suit that is self donning (front entry with the zipper across the chest that you strap around your body), latex wrist and necks seals, with boots that are part of the suit. It came with some Polar Bear AP100 insulation.

I'm just curious what the general reputation of Typhoon drysuits are. I know several other divers tha dive the suit and they like it. I'll be using it for my ice diving course in about two weeks - I'm really looking forward to diving dry =)

I looked into getting one a few years back when they first came out; they were at that time being made from the same material used in the big fuel bladders (military) & their neck ring supposedly mated right up to a DESCO hat.
They wanted too much $$ for 'em. I suspect they're using more mainstream (inexpensive) materials nowdays.

Bottom line: the fact they caught my attention is a good recommendation in itself.:wink:

Sounds like the suit I have.

It's very tough, but I am looking for some kevlar kneepads for it - the attached kneepads are very thin, and showing wear from swimsteps on boats. The zipper is a bit long when it comes down the front, and interferes with the placement of a right thigh pocket, but otherwise they're good value.

Cool.

I really like it so far - I've tried it on three or four times already at my house :)

It's really, really easy to put on. The way the zipper is makes it a snap to get in/out of it. It's a ton easier than putting my wetsuit on.

I bought a typhoon tracer and it is the worst suit I have ever dove. I don't know about there other suits but this one sucks. I would rather dive a wetsuit. It is probably drier. I work at a dive shop and have been diving for years. I'd say get a neoprene suit (POSEIDON) and if you want a tri-lam get a mobbys. They are the best out there. If you want info on either of these suits send me a message.
-Dave

Hrm...I'll have to see if I can find a model anywhere on the suit. It's not blatantly obvious what model of suit that I have.

I did notice that the knee pads are not the most robust on the suit - I would like to look into getting some reinforced kneepads on the suit to make it a little more durable. I guess I'll see how they go - most of my diving is from shore so there isn't a lot of stress put onto the knees of my exposure suits.

Kind of...it's got the general look but my zipper is much different. My zipper runs straight, horizontal across my chest. There is a larger flap of fabric that the zipper is built into that has a buckle/strap on each end. I wrap the buckles around my back and then snap together on the front of my chest...I'll see if I can get a picture of it.

I've got three dives on the suit now....I'll be putting at least one, hopefully two dives on it this weekend.

I like the suit a lot - took me a little bit to get used to adding/dumping air out of the suit (in other words, I was sprawled out, stuck to the ice like a bug once or twice) but after that initial growing pains I really like it.

The guy I bought it from had a lot bigger neck than me so I had to get the seal replaced, but I should be all set with it now.

I finally got the model number off of it -

It's a Typhoon Front Entry suite Style DSO.

Back
Top Bottom