U-352 Advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divebutt

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hi all,

Looking at being in the NC/SC area mid-June and was thinking of hitting the U-352 - on the bucket list.

Talked to a few charters and they have spots on boats, but will not commit to planning to go to the wreck. Yes, I understand weather is a factor, but I'd hate to go out of my way and extend a trip to make it, only to wind up on a not-so-awesome spot. I'd really prefer them to say "Yup, we'll plan for it unless the weather changes."

Is there an operator that thinks like this or is this kind of par for the course in the area?

Thanks very much!

In my honest opinion, this is not one of the best wrecks in the area so anywhere else you end up should be great. The U-352 is definitely a bucket list dive but that is mainly due to the historical aspects of the wreck. I've never dove off Olympus' big boat but my buddies have indicated that the sub is usually a hot spot for them since most people are just like you and want to see the 352. Good luck!

Pretty par for the course. It's a lengthy ride and often gets blown out, they just can't plan for it. Still plenty of good wrecks to hit. U boat is probably my least favorite to go to. I will say this if you are here for a whole week you have a decent chance of getting out there. If a big group asks to go to the U boat and the weather is right, they will try to accommodate.

You can try Tortuga charters. He is a 6 pack, and tell him where you want to go. The boat has a flat fee, so if you have 5 buddies that may be an option or you can pay for the whole trip. If you don't have enough in your party he will do his best to fill the boat. I just saw him post on Facebook trying to get one more person to join for lobster hunt this weekend.

Try to get a group of 6 people and book your own charter. Even if you have 4 people, the boat dive shop should be able to fill with an additional 2. That means that everyone on board would want to go to one place and one place only and that is U-352. That way if you do not get to see the sub it was because of weather and not because on general consensus on the dive boat.

Having said that, it is a very well frequented wreck. My local dive buddies are really tired of it because the charter will always make a stop there. If you dive NC three to four days I am sure you will be hitting that wreck whether you plan it or not.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom