U-701

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

obxdivemaster:
Anyone interested in diving the U-701? She lies in 115' of water north of Diamond Shoals. I was just there.

Two outfits will be running charters starting late spring 2004:

Outer Banks Diving: the Bayou Runner & the Dolphin
www.outerbanksdiving.com

Nags Head Diving: the Poppy
http://www.theoutdoorsinn.com/dive_charters.htm

I am definitely diving this wreck. Did 85 and 352 two weeks apart last year. Would love to hit 701 this year.

Which one is closer to the 701? Hatteras or Nags Head?

hex92:
I am definitely diving this wreck. Did 85 and 352 two weeks apart last year. Would love to hit 701 this year.

Which one is closer to the 701? Hatteras or Nags Head?

It's about a 28 mile run from Hatteras Inlet. An educated guess puts it about 40 miles from Oregon Inlet.

obxdivemaster:
Anyone interested in diving the U-701? She lies in 115' of water north of Diamond Shoals. I was just there.

Two outfits will be running charters starting late spring 2004:

Outer Banks Diving: the Bayou Runner & the Dolphin
www.outerbanksdiving.com

Nags Head Diving: the Poppy
http://www.theoutdoorsinn.com/dive_charters.htm
Thank you for the links.
Are the U 701 and the U 85 close enough that they could both be done the same day?

Do you have any idea what the temp is on the bottom late June or Early July? I know that last year it did not seem to get warm until Aug but I hope this year it won't wait so long.
The only pictures I have found seem to show an intact sub settled two thirds down in the sand.How did it look to you and how was the vis?
Living here in N.C. it seems like a great dive.Have done the U 352 and several of the southern wrecks .Thanks again for the links and the heads up.
Tom

OBXDIVEMASTER-I am going to be in the area with another diver in early August and will definitely look into making that dive if it is scheduled. When did Outer Banks Diving start diving the U-701?
Are you going to be posting pictures of the DOLPHIN on the website?

cleant:
Thank you for the links.
Are the U 701 and the U 85 close enough that they could both be done the same day?

not likely unless you've got a really fast boat

cleant:
Do you have any idea what the temp is on the bottom late June or Early July? I know that last year it did not seem to get warm until Aug but I hope this year it won't wait so long.

Most years it should be at least in the mid seventies. Last year was a strange exception. We had a lot of cold upwelling water for some reason.

cleant:
The only pictures I have found seem to show an intact sub settled two thirds down in the sand.How did it look to you and how was the vis?

It seemed to be more uncovered than the pictures. Hard to say for sure. Cold water and poor vis. Just did a quick bounce to verify that it was in fact the sub. We southern divers can't take 48 degrees for very long. From the sattelite shot looks like the warm water (72) is edging closer. Let you know more when I can actually see something.

Harro10:
OBXDIVEMASTER-I am going to be in the area with another diver in early August and will definitely look into making that dive if it is scheduled. When did Outer Banks Diving start diving the U-701?
We haven't run a charter there yet. We should start soon, though. It's in a tough location - the current rolls through there most of the time. Gonna be one of those wrecks we have to catch with the right wind. Or possibly with experienced divers who can "dive bomb" it and do a drift dive.

Harro10:
Are you going to be posting pictures of the DOLPHIN on the website?
As soon as we get some. It's suppose to be ready to pick up in about a week or so.

I dove the 701 a few years back and it was pretty much sanded in. Have they done something to improve it? Here's a couple of pics. Folks have been "diving" this wreck for many years how is it a virgin wreck?

Dale
:scubadive

obxdivemaster:
It's about a 28 mile run from Hatteras Inlet. An educated guess puts it about 40 miles from Oregon Inlet.

Leave it to a DM(diving monkey), I'd rather take the boat than run.. :1poke: See ya in a couple of days, Keep the weather straightened out.

BTW.. How's the water, I need to know if I need to bring my 3/2 or if just my shorty will be enough.

Lead_carrier:
Leave it to a DM(diving monkey), I'd rather take the boat than run.. :1poke: See ya in a couple of days, Keep the weather straightened out.

BTW.. How's the water, I need to know if I need to bring my 3/2 or if just my shorty will be enough.

Last time out tuna fishing there's been a hard change from 52 to 72. It's still a little far out but keeps theatening to push in. When it does, we're in business - it's warm and blue. It's starting to mix down south, Arrow/Proteus direction, and it's getting into the upper 60's there. Inshore is still cold - upper 40's/low 50's. That was a few days ago, though, and it's been blowing hard NW since. It's droppin out, now, and is suppose to go SW for a few days, which is good news.

Check out our web page. I updated it and a bunch of new links. If you go to the links page and scroll down you can find sea surface temperature charts for this area. Try the interactive one: you can turn on waypoints and it'll show you the Empire Gem, Dixie Arrow, Abrahms, Austrailia, etc.

http://www.sstcharts.com/nc0406amup.shtml

or weather info:
http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.phtml?station=41025
http://weather.noaa.gov/cgi-bin/fmtbltn.pl?file=forecasts/marine/coastal/am/amz154.txt

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom