U.S. coral reefs to disappear within decades?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sea Save Foundation

Contributor
Reaction score
Scientists are warning that coral reefs in the U.S. may disappear within decades due to climate change. Coral reefs include those in Hawaii, Florida and in the Caribbean. “We are looking at the loss or at least severe degradation of most reefs in the the coming decades.” This is due in part to warming sea temperatures that can cause corals to bleach and due to ocean acidification, which cause corals to lose calcium (carbonate ions).

Read more here (number 3)

Do you think U.S. reefs are at risk? What have you experienced and seen during your dives in the area?

uscoralreef.jpg

I did some free diving in the middle keys in FL in the early seventies. The corals were amazing. I saw multiple heads of brain corals the size of Volkswagens. The corals were flawless. I also saw enormous barracuda in the 8' class.

Now I rarely see elkhorn coral of staghorn coral. Theses are acrophora corals that are sensitive to water quality. The gorgonians are often in good shape. I do see some good looking hard corals but it is rare to see a coral head that is flawless. Also, everywhere I have gone: Utila, Turneffe Atoll, the Fl keys, the Turks and Caicos, Roatan, the Virgin Islands, the Caymans, and Cozumel show decided coral degradation.

The causes of Reef stress are various.

One is over fishing. It is speculated that the removal of certain fish species can adversely affect corals. The places where I see the best fish populations: the FL keys, Cozumel and the Caymans all have good corals. But Utila is over fished and has decent corals.

The second is pollution of nitrates and phosphates. I have seen places with this pollution that has dead reefs choked with algae.

The third is coral bleaching caused by water that is too hot for too long. I have seen places where this is happening.

The fourth is acidification of the oceans caused by the sea water absorbing CO2 from the air. Hard corals struggle to make calcium carbonate for their skeletons. Acidic water makes them vulnerable to other threats.

In about forty years, I have seen pristine reefs transformed into obviously sick or dead reefs.

It would seem likely that contininf the present trajectory will finish the job.

This is more than a local US problem, I suspect 50 years from now the coral landscape worldwide will be greatly decimated. Although it will be outside many of our lifetimes, our children and grandchildren will inherit a vastly different planet.

Last edited:
I remember diving the Carysfort and Molasses during the 70's and seeing forests of staghorn and elkhorn, they are all gone. A positive note may be the staghorn beds off of Ft Lauderdale seem to be doing well. Could it be possible the range is moving northward?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom