U.S.S. Oriskany

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hootch:
Where are they going to sink it exactly? Does anyone know?

Hootch

Not sure which you're asking about. The Vandenburg will be sunk off Key West, or at least that's what they've been saying. They were supposed to sink it almost 5 years ago and it hasn't been done yet.

The USS Oriskany will be sunk about 22 miles south-east of Pensacola and about 32 miles south-west of Destin's East Pass. It'll be sunk in about 215 feet of water, though the original depth at that location was said to be 230 feet.

For a location map, see the map I attached.

-mike

I went to the Oriskany site with Rick and it is magnificent. My computer listed 212 as the max depth. Lots of creatures inhabit the bottom. During the final ten minute stop there were small things hanging in the water that looked like tiny semiconductors. I used my magnifying lens to discover that they were baby octopi.

Can't wait for the newest divesite!

The might "O" will be sunk 22 miles south of the Pensacola Bay Pass in 225' (charted depth) to 218' actual depth.
Island depth should start at 60'
flight deck at 130', who knows what will it be when she finally settles, lets jsut pray she sit up right because no stormn is gonna turn her like Dennis turned up the Speigel Grove, she is only 550'

I wonder if local dive shops will actually make trips out to the Oriskany or will it become just another site that when asked about diving there I get the typical answer-- "oh, we don't go out there, it is to deep, or too far, or blah, bla, blabb, blah" ? N

Nemrod:
I wonder if local dive shops will actually make trips out to the Oriskany or will it become just another site that when asked about diving there I get the typical answer-- "oh, we don't go out there, it is to deep, or too far, or blah, bla, blabb, blah" ? N

I think they'll go there -- it will require some evidence of advanced experience though. If the boat doesn't know you, you will probably have to show a log or an advanced certification, but there will be trips going.

CNN just ran this story today:

http://www.cnn.com/2006/TRAVEL/03/03/manmade.reef.ap/index.html

Looks like, if you sink it, they will come.

Florabama:
I think they'll go there -- it will require some evidence of advanced experience though. If the boat doesn't know you, you will probably have to show a log or an advanced certification, but there will be trips going.

CNN just ran this story today:

http://www.cnn.com/2006/TRAVEL/03/03/manmade.reef.ap/index.html

Looks like, if you sink it, they will come.
Will this vessel be available to recreational wreck divers or will it only be available to advanced wreck divers/mixed gases etc.? In other words will there be an area shallow enough to accomodate less than advanced wreck divers?

You'll have to contact the shop running the charter to see what they will allow, but I imagine that most will just require Advanced Open Water unless you are really doing an advanced (deep or penetration) dive on her. The top of the island will be at about 65 feet depth so there will be shallow enough sections for you to dive w/o getting too deep. expect the filght deck to be about 130 feet deep.

Back
Top Bottom