UAE East Coast Temperatures

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Drop me a PM and I'll help where I can.

Hi everyone, What's the expected temps in that area in March? Warmer? Some plans just changed and I may end up visiting for some diving.. real recommendations on where to stay and dive for about a week would be helpful.

Temperatures in March are usually around the mid-20's (centigrade).

Regarding place to stay, the east coast of the UAE offers much better diving so it'd be the natural choice; there's a number of nice hotels in Al Aqah (Rotana, Meridien, Miramar) and those would give you access to local diving (a mix of reefs & a couple of wrecks) as well as allow you to get on a fast boat or day boat up the Musandam coast (which offers some great diving). There are many more hotels in the area, both in the budget-oriented category (e.g. Sandy Beach hotel) as well as in 'exclusive' range (e.g. the Six Senses at Zighy Bay).

If one flies half-way around the world, they may also want to visit the city of Dubai, therefore a stay of a few days there might be a part of the plan. Spoilt for choice regarding accommodation there, but diving is pot luck due to bad viz; the majority of divesites are wrecks in a flat sandy (and very often dredged) bottom.

Another, often overlooked, option is spending 2-4 days in Oman, diving the Daymaniyats or the reefs & wrecks around Muscat. Again, plenty of accommodation options in Muscat - regarding the Daymaniyats, my understanding is that the closest hotel nowadays is the Millennium hotel in Mussanah.

Last edited:
Well at last, two dives yesterday :D

It's been over a month, and during that time have been crazy at work as well as moving house, still trying to find things o_O

Anyway, my buddy Kerstn and I decided to dive with Palms Dive Centre at the Radisson. We had our own boat for the first dive to Inch 1

IMG_1932MF_zpsleifkng8.jpg

We were the second boat on the mooring, with the Sandy Beach boat first. This was fine as all of their divers were on air and we had the wreck to ourselves for a short time until some other boats (and loads of divers) arrived. When we surfaced 50 mins later there were 3 other boats on the mooring (Al Boom, Divers Down and another boat).

Since I hadn't dived in over a month I was just looking for a chilled dive and spent most of the time just hanging with the fish. The wreck itself is in a rather forlorn state as far as corals are concerned, there are far too many divers diving this wreck now.

Visibility was pretty bad and very green, perhaps 2-3m at best, fortunately I was shooting macro. Lots of Crocodile fish around and of course the resident Lionfish.

FUJ_1073Csig_zpshvg879rt.jpg

FUJ_1075MCsig_zpshjysjxqa.jpg

We returned to the dive centre and after a biological break and a quick snack we returned to the same small boat joined by three other divers, one of whom was twice the size of me. It was a tight fit!

At Dibba rock we had a 76 min dive, I was totally chilled at 13m and had a slow drift about a meter off the bottom for around 30 mins having nicely dialled in my buoyancy with my new drysuit. Temp was 22C and I had added a sweatshirt over my Fourth Element under garments. which kept me nice and warm.

FUJ_1108Csig_zpsyg7qhaou.jpg

FUJ_1078MCsig_zpsjkufucij.jpg

22C today, however I was nice and cosy in my drysuit :D

Dived Car Cemetery 2 and Meemo off Fujairah and Kalba.

Lots of nudis, some tiny (3-4mm) and some easy to see :p

Chromodoris anulata

FUJ_1138MCsig_zpss8yxs23p.jpg

Hypselodoris dolfusi

FUJ_1151MCsig_zps6o0nfzzi.jpg

The nicest find however was a flatworm that looked like a Risbecia pulchella

FUJ_1157MCsig_zpsbcl6mkcq.jpg

Weather was overcast and we had drizzles of rain off and on, no sun whatsoever :( The people in wetsuits were cold :rofl3:

Not had time to post recently although I did manage one dive a week ago and two dives yesterday. I had some equalisation issues on a planned dive on "Cauliflower Gardens" (40m) and had to call the dive, although I did a 16m dive on Dibba Rock an hour later.

Yesterday was the same initially, but after resting for about 10 mins on the surface I managed to make the dive on "Three Cars" (23m) followed by Car Cemetery 2 (20m).

Visibility on Dibba Rock a week ago was 12m, yesterday was pea soup at 1-2m.

Water temps still at 22C, although air temps are now hitting 30C.

Key find on Dibba Rock was this very small 1cm Gymnodoris sp

FUJ_1216MCsig_zpsudhmwek8.jpg

Yesterday I changed from my usual 60mm lens to the 85mm lens as I expected to find some small nudis, but along with my initial equalisation issue, my LP inflator was playing up again and I had to disconnect it. The 85mm lens was set on autofocus which didn't work at all and my focus light was not sufficient to help.

In the end I took only 12 shots.

This small scorpionfish was only about 2-3cm long

FUJ_1264MCsig_zps7rqiu5yf.jpg

One of my favourite bottom dwelling fish are crocodile fish

FUJ_1257Csig_zps9u1cg1vv.jpg

And the tubes on abandoned fish traps provide great homes for blennies

FUJ_1250MCsig_zpsznzvs5xl.jpg

Not sure what the plans are for next week yet, but for sure the drysuit will be used.

Wow, 10m vis on Inchcape 10 this morning and temps of 24/25C

We could see the whole wreck from 12m but of course I was shooting macro, not WA.

Plenty of nudis around, especially on the second dive on Car Cemetery 2.

Hypselodoris Dolfusi

FUJ_1287MCsig_zpstslkftxu.jpg

Gymnodoris rubropapulosa

FUJ_1291MCsig_zpsqjfcmfkh.jpg

Caloria sp.

FUJ_1304MCsig_zpsrnub1tii.jpg

My favourite shot of the day is this Hypselodoris carnae

FUJ_1313MCsig_zpse4citddl.jpg

Wow, 10m vis on Inchcape 10 this morning and temps of 24/25C

Almost wetsuit temperatures, then :)

...and with that thought to warm me up, I'm off to Stoney (their website says that water temp is 6C :eek:)

Almost wetsuit temperatures, then

Yep, I was wondering why I felt warmer than normal in my drysuit.

Good practice for the the west coast of Scotland in September :D

Heavy rain and seas last weekend so no diving but a desert trip instead on our way back from Fujairah after crossing the mountains and moving into the dunes at Fossil Rock.

Not quite deep enough to dive :p

IMG_1959Fsig_zps8bfnculf.jpg

Anyway it was flat calm yesterday and sunny too, water temps of 24C, so perhaps another month and I will be back diving wet again.

I decided to shoot wide angle on Inch 10 but the water was very green

FUJ_1204Csig_zpswlghph7f.jpg

Mating dance by two pipefish

FUJ_1133MCsig_zpswnppddjw.jpg

Plenty of crocodile fish around, over 20 on the starboard side alone

FUJ_1139MCsig_zpsursfwnrc.jpg

Second dive on Car Cemetery 2 was not so great, the bottom 3m was very milky for some reason and although I had switched to macro, I struggled to find some decent subjects.

Another shot of Inch 10

FUJ_1198MBWCsig_zpsedgxnv0d.jpg

Back
Top Bottom