Uber Approved in Quintana Roo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For all I know the residents of Cozumel are perfectly happy with the status quo.
For all you know, the residents of Cozumel might desperately want a change.

Or more likely, the truth on average is somewhere in between (though maybe closer to one than the other) with individual residents all along the continuum.

To translate: "I make no judgement about party X, it's their thing I should not presume to judge. Party Y on the other hand was completely wrong not to anticipate party X's behavior and is fully responsible for any impact on party Z by party X, it is perfectly alright for me to judge party Y. In fact I will only do business with party X to prove my non-judgmentalism."
Translation is unnecessary; I said what I said.

I never said that anyone was "completely wrong" or "fully responsible" for or about anything. IMO (in my opinion, as is all of this) whoever arranged for the bus(es) chose to poke the wasp nest with innocent bystanders nearby. The taxi union's response was totally predictable even by me sitting here 1000 miles away. Whether the taxi union or the airline's agent was right or wrong is irrelevant; the situation could have easily been avoided. It appears to me (again, sitting here 1000 miles away) that the incident could have been a deliberate provocation of the union using the tourists as pawns.

As for whom I do business with, I don't consider Uber the absolute good guy in all this, either. They are a multinational corporation that seeks to disrupt a relatively stable local market, funnel money for themselves out of it, and potentially put a lot of people out of work. Whether using Uber rather than a taxi would save me money is irrelevant. Whether some (a very few in my direct experience in many trips to Cozumel) taxi drivers have been less than honest in their dealings with tourists is irrelevant as well.

For all you know, the residents of Cozumel might desperately want a change.

I have friends on the island, and none of them have expressed any desperation to me about the taxi system, but of course I stated the extreme. The truth is, as you say, somewhere in the middle, and I have no way of knowing precisely where that is, hence my reluctance to judge.

Whether using Uber rather than a taxi would save me money is irrelevant. Whether some (a very few, in my direct experience in many trips to Cozumel) taxi drivers have been less than honest in their dealings with tourists is irrelevant as well.
What is relevant? You seem to have a strong preference for one of the other, and yet declare almost every differentiator irrelevant.
As for whom I do business with, I don't consider Uber the absolute good guy in all this, either. They are a multinational corporation that seeks to disrupt a relatively stable local market, funnel money for themselves out of it, and potentially put a lot of people out of work.
It seems like you are judging one option on the morality of their behavior, but declaring the morality of the behavior of the other option irrelevant. That seems inconsistent. I agree that Uber is far from "absolute good guy", which is why I continued to use the taxis on my latest visit after I observed the apparent change in ethical behavior. I may have been wrong to attribute that change to Uber's possible presence.

I see Uber and the Union as both morally compromised and difficult to choose between. The drivers on the other hand can be judged by their behavior, and on my latest visit they provided both ethical behavior and the better customer experience, easy choice.

I agree. I have said all I have to say; I said all the same stuff the last time this came up and I stand by it. If others insist on picking what I wrote apart and making inferences from it that I did not say, I cannot help that. Peace out.

Wait, nobody has included a discussion of Lyft! 18lb or 60lb, bungee or no bungee, horseshoe or donut (or peanut). The fat lady has not yet sung!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom