UCLS and YS-250

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nwcid

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I just bought a pair of YS-250 strobes so ordered a new set of arms too. After looking around I went with the UCLS arms with a 5" and 8" section.

So when everything got here and set it up. One thing I noticed was the joints seem "loose". I have tightened the joints to the point right before having to put a lot of force on them. it helps but it will still not support the strobe. I can start craning down on the joint but didn't want to damage the screw or O-ring. How tight should you have to make these? I know the YS-250 is a heavy strobe, is this the wrong arms for these?

What sort of photography do you want or anticipate doing? Wide angle with full extension or macro with everything close?

What matters most, I think, is how well do the arms support the strobes underwater for the configuration you need? You may want to have everything folded in tight on the surface. Maybe even use a bungie or support strap to keep things together. Figure out the best way to hand the camera up when you return to the boat. Be sure that the crew can grab a solid part of the tray. Also they need a solid point to hook onto when they lower the camera to you at the start of a dive.

Maybe a picture of the set up would help.

I don't expect my strobes and arms to be 100% solid when on land, the weight of the strobes will pull on the arms, however underwater they should be able to stretch out and maintain their position.

I have a lanyard on my housing and I wind it round the wing part of the clamps on each side making a decent handle for the boat crew to use when passing the camera to me and when handing it back up after the dive. Keeps the strobes in a relatively safe position when not in use. During the dive I remove the lanyard from the clamps to allow mobility and generally wind the lanyard around the lower right hand clamp to keep it tight and out of the way.

First off, whats a boat dive? :confused: Just kidding but out of over 100 dives 4 have been from a boat. Once on the Big Island and once in Maui.

With my old set up the arms would lock up tight enough to keep the arms folded. I had a bolt snap off one handle so I could clip it off to either my left shoulder, or butt D-ring (in water).

The new set up is using the same dome and similar size housing. What has really changed is the size of the strobes, roughly doubled, and the length of the arms. I don't think with the way the new arms are I can fold them over the top like that anymore.

Back
Top Bottom