Uh oh...dis ain't looking so good...(FG trip)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm all packed and set to go. Forms filled out, physical taken and turned in, tank aired up, and truck full of (expensive) gas. I can't wait to get out to the Flower Gardens this week!

Now, if the Gulf will just behave. You see, there is this little ol' low pressure system knocking around in the southern Gulf of Mexico. It shouldn't strengthen to a tropical storm, but it doesn't have to. All it take to pull the plug on our trip is for it to generate 6 foot waves or so, and this trough could do just that by Tuesday. That would be a bad thing, since we leave out on Sunday for a three day trip.

Oh, well. All we can do is trust in the best, head out, and hope fervently we don't get the dreaded "mid-day phone call of doom".

We are in the preparation for storm coverage around Wed or Thursday in the Gulf this week. So sorry.

Shawn O'Shea

I'm all packed and set to go. Forms filled out, physical taken and turned in, tank aired up, and truck full of (expensive) gas. I can't wait to get out to the Flower Gardens this week!

Now, if the Gulf will just behave. You see, there is this little ol' low pressure system knocking around in the southern Gulf of Mexico. It shouldn't strengthen to a tropical storm, but it doesn't have to. All it take to pull the plug on our trip is for it to generate 6 foot waves or so, and this trough could do just that by Tuesday. That would be a bad thing, since we leave out on Sunday for a three day trip.

Oh, well. All we can do is trust in the best, head out, and hope fervently we don't get the dreaded "mid-day phone call of doom".

Well, my grandfather used to say only fools and foreigners predicted the weather in Texas...he didn't distinguish much between the two and a foreigner was anyone not born here. :wink:

If I were you I'd pack my bags and go too. That phone call might just not come. Besides, you have to do a couple of days of classroom work before the trip if I'm remembering correctly. Heck, by the time you get ready to board the Fling you might be looking at clear, blue skies and 1-2 foot seas! :D

Good luck and have a great time! Even if the trip doesn't make DUOY is a great program and experience!

Well, ya'll, I'm baaaa-aaaack. And with that obvious staement, that means things didn't work out in the Gulf as well as we had expected. However, it wasn't for the most obvious reasons...there's a story to it, so here's the report.

We did, indeed, get to the Fling on Sunday evening as planned. I talked with the Captain, and he said we'd go out and get in as many dives as possible before conditions mandated we pack it in. At that point, forecasts indicated we'd have pretty good conditions all day Monday and probably into the night, but we'd probably have to run for it on Tuesday. That would give us at least five dives, and maybe even seven. We motored out Sunday night on flat seas. Monday morning, conditions were terrific at Flower Gardens West. Dead calm and virtually no current, vis was about 75 feet. We got in a good dive at 07:00, but when everyone was aboard...bad news. One of our trip leaders was experiencing difficulties--loss of sensation in shoulders and arms and some disorientation. Long story made short, it was evident that it was an "undeserved DCI hit". The Coast Guard directed us to bring him in (their aircraft were already deployed elsewhere).
So, storm or not, we had to terminate the expedition. The leader was taken in for chamber rides, and I decided not to wait for the interesting turn in the weather. Sure, the trip was disappointing, but we all did our best and every adventure is a learning experience...I certainly learned a lot on this one! By the way, the crew and DM's on this expedition were fantastic and took care of the injured diver with professionalism and great skill. My hat's off to them.
And yes, this expedition did require all participants to have a physical. Policy.

So there you have it. "The best laid plans of mice and men..." (and divers)

Bummer...sorry to hear about the cancellation, and very sorry to hear the trip leader took a hit. Wish him a speedy and full recovery.

So on to important things....you're signing up for Labor Day weekend now, right? :evil:

Sorry to hear about the diver and your trip getting cancelled. I hope the diver who took the hit is ok.

Regarding the policy of a bent diver, what happens for instance if you are signed up for a 3 day trip and on the first day, the ship has to return for a case like yours ...... are the divers refunded anything for this trip?

Nope. (At least as far as I know of...)

In my case this weekend, I'm only out for gas and travel expenses (the actual trip was subsidized by sponsors).

Normally, though, the Coast Guard would have evacuated the injured diver and the trip would have gone on. In this case, though, the CG couldn't divert a chopper to help. They were already in service elsewhere.

Did I hear correctly that last week's FG trip made, but had to come back in early?! That's no fun.
I also read on the Gulf Diving site that this weeks Thurs/Fri trip is off. I'm wondering about the wknd. There's still room on the 3-day Labor Day trip!!!!!

Okay, I have an update on the injured diver (yup, Farrah, we did get to go out, but one of our divers had an "undeserved" DCS hit on the first dive). He's doing fine and is resting at home after a six hour, schedule 6 chamber ride. Most symptoms are gone (though he's really fatigued), and his spirits are good. We're all just happy he's all right and should suffer no ill effects from the hit.
By the way, take a look at the buoy data for the FG (on their website). We were on the water until Monday evening and seas were flat...about two feet. At 07:00 the next morning, waves were running 15 feet and they grew to that height in just a few hours!
That's our Gulf of Mexico for you.

Glad to hear he's good. So....signed up for Labor Day yet? :evil:

Okay, I have an update on the injured diver (yup, Farrah, we did get to go out, but one of our divers had an "undeserved" DCS hit on the first dive). He's doing fine and is resting at home after a six hour, schedule 6 chamber ride. Most symptoms are gone (though he's really fatigued), and his spirits are good. We're all just happy he's all right and should suffer no ill effects from the hit.
By the way, take a look at the buoy data for the FG (on their website). We were on the water until Monday evening and seas were flat...about two feet. At 07:00 the next morning, waves were running 15 feet and they grew to that height in just a few hours!
That's our Gulf of Mexico for you.

Welcome back, glad your OK and your friend.

Shawn O'Shea

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom