UK SL4 L1 eled comments

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rescue Diver68

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I just bought the new UK SL4 L1 eled light and wanted to hopefully post some useful comments for anyone else who is looking to purchase it.

I was using UK C8 Pistol grip light(not eled). I thought it was a great light but I broke the handle trying to open it to remove the batteries for a flight.
So- I went light shopping.......
The SL4 L1 has a very impressive bright white light that is brighter than the C8, but, the cone of light is slightly smaller. It is also waaaay brighter than my old SL4 and my Princton Tec 400.

It is more compact and takes only 4 batteries compared to the 8 for the C8 which is always nice when you are trying to keep your bag under 50lbs to fly. It advertises twice the burn time of the C8 as well. Yet to be tested on that.

For me I think I found a great light!

Just a question. Why does the official UK site state the light output as 400 lm while everywhere else I read 116? Am I missing the point or something?

I've only done one night dive in my short diving career (Shark's bay in Sharm El Sheikh), and I never looked at the brand of the light, but it looked very much like the UK L4. We used it a as primary light and it seemed brilliant enough to me, but then again I have nothing to compare it too. And for that price (seen it for around 55 quid) it's not as expensive as expected. Going to Mabul & Sipadan at the end of the year, should I get this light and use it as a main light? This fits just into my budget.

Hi Mike,

Sorry I cant answer your lumen question.

I found that this new light is brighter than the primary I have used for the last 10 years. So in my opinion, yes, it is certainly bright enough to be used as a primary light. I plan to use it as such. I also bought the DRIS 1000 lumen light last week and in my opinion it is no brighter than the UK SL4 eled L1.

Just a question. Why does the official UK site state the light output as 400 lm while everywhere else I read 116? Am I missing the point or something?

The second generation (2011) of SL4 has more output , 400 Lumens vs 116 Lms for the 1st SL4 eled.

Hi, first post on the forum. Glad to be here. I just ordered this light. My old SL4 (non-led) worked great for hundreds of dives, then I had a break in diving and forgot to removed batteries. Well, they leaked and destroyed my favorite light. If its half as good as they say and better then its previous model, then I have high hopes. Has yours been performing as hoped? Please to meet everyone here.

the SL4 has been a good utility light over the years. Those of you who have older models can get really nice aftermarket upgrade modules from a builder here on SB.

I'll see if I can find the link, and post it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom