Ultimate Divers Challenge – California Style

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ZKY:
The best abalone I ever had was cooked on the beach right after I got out of the water. I brought a cast iron skillet, some olive oil, fresh garlic, and an ab pounding hammer....
It was a very minimalist ab feed but it tasted so good because we had to work for it, and it was the opening day of the season. I felt spoiled. Most people would never have the opportunity to have such fun.

Have done this many times in the past, now my mouth is watering again!

Dave

Well, it's happening again this year.
Sunday, April 1st, at Fisk Mill Cove in Sonoma County at 8:00 AM.
The big season opener!

But this time it's going to be much more of an elaborate event.
We'll be ab diving, but instead of the fire on the beach and scraping sea salt, we're bringing the big outdoor cookers with all the peripheral equipment needed to really do it right. I'm also bringing a huge commercial style barbecue made out of a barrel that can cook up to 30 tri tips at a time, complete with lump mesquite charcoal!
We'll be cooking abalone, lingcod, tri tips, chicken, ribs slathered in barbecue sauce. There's going to be the finest micro brew beer and the best wine from Sonoma County, along with other side dishes people will bring.

This whole ab opener event is sponsored by the North Coast Divers
http://www.northcoastdivers.org
and it's open to all.

We're getting people already from Socal that want to come up and stay a few days and check it out.
There are several great campgrounds within minutes of the dive site.

The dive site's cool because the diving is spectacular. It's all rocky and the terrain and underwater structure is amazing. I've pulled many abs over 9" there. It's a bit of a hike along the bluff and down the ledge to get to the cove but it's not that bad with freediving gear. Some people will tank dive (can't take abs) but they will be spearfishing and sightseeing. I'm going to burn a few tanks.
The parking lot and picnic grounds are wooded, very private and very beautiful. They have good clean restrooms and the parking is free.

So, if any of you happen to have that weekend off or can get Monday off you should come up and get treated to something really special, fresh abalone.
Bring a small tent and a sleeping bag, a little cooler with a few things and have a little crazy dive adventure up north.

What the hell?

Eric

P.S. Don't forget your license and punch card.

How about a kelp crawl?

Then again, I tried that once, but I got stuck and my buddy laughed at me and I looked like a dork.

Back
Top Bottom