Ultimate Getaway to the Tortugas in Feb?????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

outlawaggie

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm considering a trip on the Ultimate Getaway out of Fort Myers in Early February. Any commemts??? How's the viz? Will there be the same number of fish, etc?? I realize it will be cold but I can handle that. I just want to make sure that the diving in the winter is worth the trip considering that I'm flying in from Texas. Any comments on the ultimate getaway while we're at it?

T.I.A. for any comments.

Are you booking direct with Capt Rick or through a dive shop that has chartered the whole boat?

The reason I ask is that if you're booking direct (not a charter) and the
trip doesn't meet the "minimum" needed to go, which is very possible during
the colder months like Feb, then Ultimate Getaway has in the past been
known to cancel trips at the last minute (like a day or two beforehand).
Then you'd be out your $$$ for your planeticket from Texas.

If you're booking with a dive shop that's chartered the whole boat, then
you have much less to worry about with cancellation.

Just booked to go out with them on Feb. 2nd. Sounds like the boat already has enough people to make the trip so canceling shouldn't be a problem.I'm a little concerned about what the weather conditions might be but its hard to beat the price.

My wife and I are flying down for the Feb 2-5 trip. I checked the historical ocean and air temps for the nearest NOAA buoy. The water will be ~72 & the air ~67-70. For current conditions see: <http://seaboard.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=MLRF1>
The historical stuff is linked at the bottom of the page. I am trying to decide if I want to dive wet or dry. 72 deg water is like a hot tub for what I am used to but I know it can get chilly after a few dives. The biggest issue is getting the dry gloves off of the suit and hope that the seals are not screwed up (unlikely). This is one of the reasons I am considering going to DUI zip seals. Any way I expect the diving to be good.

Back
Top Bottom