Ultra Dry Snorkels & Masks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

greggie

Reaction score
Hello,

I have two teenage daughters looking to snorkel on our summer vacation. We'll be on Martha's Vineyard for 10 days and I am looking for masks and snorkels for them. We'll be snorkeling in the numerous brackish water ponds but no ocean.

Therefore, I really need snorkels that are truly dry and really dry masks without spending a fortune. I was hoping for some insight on these items and your expert opinions and experience with them:

Masks:
Cressi Big Eyes @ $26.95
Aqua Lung Mythos @$39.95
Mares X-Stream @ $24.95
Mares X-Vision @ 44.95
Mares X-Vision Liquid Skin @ $89.95 ouch!

Both of them have full/oval shaped faces.

Snorkels:

Aeris Cuda UltraDry @ $44.95
Oceanic Ultradry @ $44.95
Tusa Platina Hyperdry Snorkel @ $34.95

Any cheaper suggestions?

Thank you for your help.

Hmm, well, I have the X-vision and love it. However, while I use it for snorkeling, I love it as a dive mask. Since you are only snorkeling, you could probley get some cheaper masks and snorkels....
Just make sure the mask fits, and you are good to go.
If you are intent on buying a dry snorkel, the Aeris is good, but you want to shop around a bit. I got mine (which I don't use because it is too dry for free diving. It creates a very strong vacuum a few meters down) for about $28.

greggie:
Therefore, I really need snorkels that are truly dry and really dry masks without spending a fortune. I was hoping for some insight on these items and your expert opinions and experience with them:

Well lets start with the snorkels.... If you really need ultra try then the girls should not be in the water. Fact is that none are perfect. Depending on conditions and what they may do while piking down they are bound to come up with a full tube from time to time.

We dive and skin dive up the coast in Maine and the Mojave (Genesis I think) does a good job of keeping the wave splash out of the tube but it can be fooled. I always go with a clearing blow to be safe. I was skin-diving for a while with a J-tube, I just got tired of clearing the salt water from waves. That being said in the sheltered waters that you are speaking of a simple J tube should work fine for under $10. It will take a little practice but I assume you plan to do some coaching before sending them out.

Masks? Fit, Fit, Fit. You need to go someplace that knows how to fit a mask. Do you think anyone is making a mask without the intention of it being fully dry? The human face is just too variable.
More here.

I know you're not talking about scuba diving but there is really little difference in the need here it's gotta fit.

How about fins? They will need fins for propulsion. Otherwise they are at the mercy of the currents.

Skin-diving is a great gateway to scuba. Get them into some good enough gear that fits right and they will have a good experience.

Pete

We dive and skin dive up the coast in Maine and the Mojave (Genesis I think) does a good job of keeping the wave splash out of the tube but it can be fooled.

Would you consider the Genesis Mojave better at stopping wave splash than the Aeris Cuda or Oceanic Ultradry? The primary use will be surface snorkeling so therefore, wave splash prevention would be the #1 priority.

Is there much comfort difference between flexible and rigid tubing? On mouthpiece design and comfort, which brand/model appears to use the highest quality silicone and design?

Masks? Fit, Fit, Fit. You need to go someplace that knows how to fit a mask. Do you think anyone is making a mask without the intention of it being fully dry?

Very true indeed and I'm weighing that versus purchasing multiple masks. Can I get away with buying two X-Vision Liquid Skin masks for use by 5 adult faces and still have a leak free fit? Does anybody know if the "Liquid Skin" concept is superior to all other masks in conforming to a variety of adult faces? From what I have read, I haven't seen any complaints about leaking so I'm encouraged but somehwat skeptical.

Well lets start with the snorkels.... If you really need ultra try then the girls should not be in the water.

I understand. I'm hoping to get them interested in water sports (scuba in particluar) by introducing them to snorkeling. Gulping salt water and water logged masks/goggles doesn't equate to a great start. We've been there in countless number of swimming pools so they're skeptical about "snorkeling" at this point. A bit pampered I understand, but my goal is to get them into the water and using this sporting activity as a stress reliever throughout their lives.

Skin-diving is a great gateway to scuba. Get them into some good enough gear that fits right and they will have a good experience.

That's it.

Go out and buy them some cheap snorkels and masks, no need for any fancy purge valves or dry things or any of that mess. If they're too uncomfortable to spit a little water out out of the snorkel or out of their mask...should they be in the water to begin with?

My eldest daughter and I visited our local Divers Supply retail store as recommended by you folks. Divers Supply http://www.divers-supply.com also had the lowest internet prices to boot! (Use their lowest price guarantee - email) for the following prices.

We ended up with the Cressi Sub Matrix $44.00 and Oceanic Ultradry $27.95 snorkel. I closely inspected the Mares X-Vision Liquid Skin $79.95 but had concerns about the longterm durability. The Mares is of a thinner gauge silicone than the Cressi and therefore felt more pliable and lighter. The Cressi looked like a more durable, better made mask. Cressi is made by Cressi in Italy and not simply outsourced to an overseas subcontractor like many of the brands. I think that shows in the overall quality of their product.

The sale rep (diving for 16 years) stated that he would buy the Mares Liquid Skin when he needs a new mask stating that damage is owner and not manufacturer related. Since they just started carrying the item 6 weeks ago he is not sure of the longterm durability but wouldn't hesitate to buy one.

Regarding the snorkel, he stated that the Oceanic Ultradry and Aeris Barracuda are the identical products coming off of the same manufacturing line. Only color options are different since both companies are owned by the same parent company. He pointed out how the Edge brand snorkel came off of the same mfg'ing line as the Tusa snorkel that he carried.

I walked out at $154.00 for the two masks and two snorkels.

With my current mask and snorkel combo that I use...if I doubled it, it'd cost $80.
Seriously, buying the most expensive stuff isn't always the best.

Next time send me the $154 and I'll pocket $74 of it and send you 2 masks and 2 snorkels.

SparticleBrane:
With my current mask and snorkel combo that I use...if I doubled it, it'd cost $80.
Seriously, buying the most expensive stuff isn't always the best.

Next time send me the $154 and I'll pocket $74 of it and send you 2 masks and 2 snorkels.

You remind me of my Dad. His garage consists of the bare essentials while mine has a whole lot of power tools and gadgets. Yet, he can turn out restored antique cars of amazing quality. The difference, I'm not "into" nor very experienced with auto repair/restoration and therefore, use the tools to compensate.

You're very experienced at diving while my daughter and I are not. I know from very limited experience that poor quality masks do not fit well and leak. The $9 snorkels must be cleared continuously which isn't a problem for an experienced user. The "cheap" stuff makes for a more difficult, less enjoyable, experience. Hopefully, we will all eventually be at your level and avoid unnecessary expense since our experience will compensate.

However, I do hope that I never become arrogant nor condescending to those at a lower stage of development/experience. Afterall, that is the true mark of a "pro".

I think you should buy what you like as long as it works. A lot of this stuff is personal preference but I would test the gear with the kids in the pool first. My dad came on a trip with me once and didn't test out his stuff and it ruined the whole trip (for him) b/c the snorkel's "dry" mechanism sucked. I actually just moved away from a flexible dry purge design to an Omersub Zoom which I like a lot better. It doesn't have a purge, flexible tube or splash gaurd though so many may not like that. Check out Leisure Pro if you are doing web site shopping. They have pretty good prices and a better selection than most. Good luck and have fun!!

Back
Top Bottom