Uncle Pug finally gets to do warm water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Uncle Pug

Swims with Orca
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
What a day!

Beautiful PNW day complete with summer rain... which is almost identical to fall, winter and spring rain but different because it falls only during the summer.

Air temp was a balmy 54F which is a far cry from the bone chilling 54F of mid-winter.

We chose a secret divesite and taking a bearing upon the Space Needle descended into a pleasant surprise... the water was warm! Wonderfully warm! My stinger said that it was 54F near the surface and at 90+fsw it was a comfortable 54F.

Here in the semi-tropical warmth so uncharacteristic of Puget Sound (usual water temp is 47F) we locate a Giant Pacific Octopus at 93 fsw brooding masses of hanging eggs under a log. She was medium sized and probably weighed 65lbs or so. Standing guard on either side of her lair were two large ling cod. Neither were inclined to move as we approach and I had to push one out of the way with my lighthead to get a better look at the octopus. This unusual behaviour I attributed to the equally unusual water temperature.

After the dive we were treated to more gentle PNW summer rain and a pleasant 54F afternoon.

UP, you just absolutely must come on down for a visit. From now until mid October, the Gulf is "bathing suit" warm - 80-85F... you can wear a skin if you want to keep the jellyfish off, but only if you really want to.
Sometimes the visibility is restricted by too many fish...
Rick

Originally posted by Uncle Pug
What a day!

Here in the semi-tropical warmth so uncharacteristic of Puget Sound (usual water temp is 47F) we locate a Giant Pacific Octopus at 93 fsw brooding masses of hanging eggs under a log.

That sounds way cool Unkie! I think I may prefer to stick to my 'troubled water' diving tho... cuz if you consider 54 to be semi-tropical, then the 80ish water I am normally in must be downright hot! I guess since I am always diving in 'hot' water, I must stay in trouble huh?

Dive often, but dive safe

John

I still wanna come up there and dive with you and Shane to see some of these things you keep bragging about....

That and I miss the PacNW chow and beer selection.

Water that warm, I am surprised you didn't shuck that drysuit and don a shorty!

ID

UP - Sounds like a great dive. I would like to see a giant octopus myself one day.

I'll actually be in the PNW (Seattle) for the first time in late July but, alas, won't have time to experience the diving. But if 54 degrees is "warm," I am content living the dives through you! :wink:

Sandy

Back
Top Bottom