Uncle Pug is ready to dive!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LOA is somewhere around 31' but LOD is 28'

Beam is 9' but slightly narrower at the stern.

Power is an Izuzu 6cyl normally aspirated diesel turning a 16x12 wheel (soon to be reduced to a 16x10) through a Velvet Drive 1:1 transmission. Two steering stations... both hydraulic.

Max speed with this prop is 9.5 kts with cruise at 8.5 kts (it wants to plane but would need another hundred hp and a 16x16 wheel.)

Fuel consumption at displacement speed is <2 gph and we carry 150 gallons. Full width fish hold just forward of tank rack.

Hydraulics power the Hydroslave puller and the anchor windlass with quick disconnects that will power the water pump for harvesting geoduck. The surface supplied air package has a Honda gas engine for power. The commercial gear will replace the sport diving rack when the boat is harvesting geoduck.

Electronics inlude Radar, VHF, GPS, Chartplotter and color depthsounder.

Shane (and Robin) did all of the work over a four month period while it was out of the water along side their house. During that time Shane didn't get to dive at all... every spare minute was used on the reconstruction.

I was busy diving. :)

DD.... it is a piece of cake to dive off of... you will have to come out again. Bring BigT with you. :D

Rick: Keep dreaming... Canuck: keep working... Custer: keep winking...

Ber: yes... we have lots of before and after pictures... but our boat is the one she prefers... it has... more civilized accomodations... UP still has the rail for the head.

Mike: Shane will be using the boat in the commercial harvest of geoduck, a large clam that is harvested by divers using surface supplied air and a water jet. It can also be used for urchin, sea cucumber harvest as well as crab.

The times during the year that Shane will be using the boat for commercial harvest work are limited... the rest of the time I will be using the boat for diving... that is the mooring line I kept cleated off when I gave him the boat. :wink:

UP,

Where do you keep it (when not diving?). I'll come by and take a look in person sometime when I'm on the coast.

Rich

WOW!

Hardly even looks like the same boat.

Just don't sink it before I get a chance to get back up there and dive off it :wink:

So Cal here - so I'm pretty clueless to this type of stuff.

I did some research - here are a few cool links.

Link #1 - this one shows a diver actually digging one of these wacky things up

Link #2 - pretty much more than I ever thought I needed to know about these things. Included is a FAQ - with the correct way to say the name, and some other comedy...

Link #3 - Proud guy in a drysuit, showing off his catch...and some other cool info.

Looks like something I saw on Iron Chef one time... Geoduck battle or some such rot.

Wow. So much work went into the boat...especially the planning to have it serve double and even triple duty. Can't wait to see it.

Thanks for sharing.

K

the P-valve installed? This would answer the question, "Do you dress right or left?" :wacko:

Cool vessel, thanks for sharing!!

I thought that hoist-looking thing was to function as a davit and hoist divers from the water so they didn't have to climb the latter. Is it dual purpose?

I like the setup.

I'm going to rig a custom ladder on Gig this winter (has to be removable for fishing!), and likely will strip the platform off. It interferes badly with backing down on big fish, and I've damaged it twice already doing that - one of these days I'm going to rip it clear off the transom backing down on a Marlin....

One of my challenges is how to do this and yet have a good place for entry. With the platform you can kinda do both, but without it the ladder could make entries a pain in the tush. Back rolls can be done, but they're not optimal due to the shape of the gunnels on the boat, and a couple of people have bashed themselves on the gunnel or side rails doing them over the last couple of years, so I'm not all that keen on that as the entry point.

The ladder I have now I simply don't trust if I start doing any significant diving in doubles - I'm afraid I'll tear it off the platform!

sea nmf once bubbled...
I thought that hoist-looking thing was to function as a davit and hoist divers from the water so they didn't have to climb the latter. Is it dual purpose?
We have used it to hoist doubles back onto the boat in the past when we had a very narrow swim step and no ladder... but the new swim grid & ladder are sturdy enough for us to climb out wearing the doubles.

BTW: geoduck is my favorite seafood.... the breast meat tastes like very mild oyster and the neck meat tastes like very mild clam... and no gravel, grit or guts. Plus one clam will feed the whole crew.

Back
Top Bottom