Under water diver communication

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KCIREVAM

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
2 part question? What is the distance 4 divers 2 B able 2 communicate using under water full face devices?
My other question what is, at what depth can a boat 2 diver communicate underwater. And the distance?

Quite frankly I dont have a definite answer to your question, but I would imagine, and hope it would be at least a couple hundred feet back to the boat, between depth and distance away from the boat. Also, even if the headsets work 50 feet away from each other, are you really going to be that far away from your buddy?

Wireless diver-to-diver and diver-to-surface communication devices vary considerably in performance. The frequency at which they operate and the power output are just some of the variables. They are basically line-of-sight devices. Anything that comes between the transmitter and receiver will interfere with the transmission. A thermocline will reflect the signal. Thermocline reflections are especially troublesome when using com systems for diver-to-surface communications. To answer the question, it depends but the beginning of an answer is in the manufacturer's specifications.

We did some testing in poor vis water with the oceanic buddy phones and could get about 200 yards from the surface unit before we started losing the signal.

There is way to wide a range to answer that question. Even using the same “wireless” units the range can vary widely. Temperature, suspended particulate, debris in the water and obstructions are but a few of what can influence wireless systems.

Now hard wire is another story. If it’s operating properly it’s ALWAYS operating at its maximum range no matter how far away you are.

Gary D.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom