under wear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

catherine96821:
whats underarmor? are those those silky green microfiber undies they wear under cammis in combat?

http://www.underarmour.com/Home.cfm?site_id=5

This is the stuff I wear. Most people could probably get by with the regular athletic stuff tho. The combat stuff is made a little tougher in construction in the seams, knee and elbows. I use this stuff for diving, swat, and swift water rescue and it preforms flawlessly.

Wetsuit...my favorite bathing suit

Drysuit, underarmor pants and shirt, thermal underwear, fleece pants, on top a few more insulating shirts topped by a fleece. Kept me toasty on last dive when water was 45.

SheriffMedic:
In very cold water, like 36 degree water, I wear a layer of polypropylene on top of a layer of underarmor. Both of these wick perspiration away from the skin and works really well. If I am diving in moderate temperatures I wear a pair of regular swim shorts and a t-shirt.

You are talking about a wetsuit right, in which case I have to call you out on this. The polypro/Under Armour wicks moisture away from the skin, thats ridiculus considering wetsuits are designed to keep a small ammount of water in the suit which your body warms up. How poly pro works is the material pulls the moisture from your skin and then the moisture evaporates in the air or gets absorbed by your thermal insulation layer. Now if the moisture can't evaporate it'll just stay there and not do a whole lot of good. If anything in really cold water you should add some hot water to the suit before diving to help your body along. The wicking away moisture thing only works in air or dry environments ie a dry suit. Now personally I just wear a regular swimsuit which I adjust before I pull the suit all the way up to prevent bunching.

Im talking about a dry suit, not a wet suit. When we are diving in REALLY cold water, PSD work, this is what I wear, as do the majority of the rest of the divers.

And, while re-reading the first post, I thought they were talking about dry suits, now I see it's wet suits.

Under my wet suits I wear normal swim trunks.

Me, trunks, period. Wife a one pice suit of her choice.

The whole point of a wetsuit is to keep water migration (and exchange) to a minimum so there's no point in intoducing layers of porous fabric into the equation. This is especially true if you have a "skin in" suit or vest such as a Henderson Gold Core or as Bare SGS.

Remember that almost all of the things we associate with being warm and cozy topside don't mean squat when wet.

If you feel you really need a skin to get in and out of your suit I maintain you either have the wrong suit or technique.

If you're a warm water diver you can get away with trading off some performance for fashion, modesty or to compensate for fit but as a cold water diver that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Pete

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom