Closed Undersuit advice

Sold or no longer available

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Stacey9292

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
Hi all,

I'm new to scuba and looking for a undersuit and just needed a little advice.

I have a neoprene dry suit (not crushed) which is quite a snug fit. I'm looking for a undersuit that isn't thick and bulky but will keep me warm. I'll be diving in UK waters. In the lake the club dive most the water temperature is between 6 degrees and 15 degrees (centigrade) depending on the time of year and depth.

Any help is much appreciated.

Thank you

Why is your discussion title marked "Closed"?

Hi all,

I'm new to scuba and looking for a undersuit and just needed a little advice.

I have a neoprene dry suit (not crushed) which is quite a snug fit. I'm looking for a undersuit that isn't thick and bulky but will keep me warm. I'll be diving in UK waters. In the lake the club dive most the water temperature is between 6 degrees and 15 degrees (centigrade) depending on the time of year and depth.

Any help is much appreciated.

Thank you

Any drysuit that fits snug, regardless of material, will inhibit ones ability to add thermal layers under it.

For a neoprene drysuit, you may find that the suit itself provides a base of insulation to make diving comfortable. I would still recommend wearing a thin wicking base layer such as polypropylene which can be obtained as form-fitting or loose fitting undergarments. This should wick perspiration away from your skin to aid in keeping you dryer and warmer.

If your suit + wicking base layer is not enough, then you are limited to fleece and/or wool layers that you can comfortably wear in your suit. I would look into thin layers of Marino wool.

The the option is of course to purchase another drysuit that is sized more correctly for your body morphology + the undergarments you will need to stay comfortable in the temperature of water you plan to dive in.

Hope that helps.

-Z

Any drysuit that fits snug, regardless of material, will inhibit ones ability to add thermal layers under it.

For a neoprene drysuit, you may find that the suit itself provides a base of insulation to make diving comfortable. I would still recommend wearing a thin wicking base layer such as polypropylene which can be obtained as form-fitting or loose fitting undergarments. This should wick perspiration away from your skin to aid in keeping you dryer and warmer.

If your suit + wicking base layer is not enough, then you are limited to fleece and/or wool layers that you can comfortably wear in your suit. I would look into thin layers of Marino wool.

The the option is of course to purchase another drysuit that is sized more correctly for your body morphology + the undergarments you will need to stay comfortable in the temperature of water you plan to dive in.

Hope that helps.

-Z
Thank you for this that helps. With an undersuit. Say a 150 or 200 fleece do you know how thick approx that would be in inches? I tried the drysuit on with a few jumpers however the problem came when it rode up so couldn't get an accurate idea of how much wiggle room i had . If attached an example of a undersuit I was looking at.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220728-133725_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20220728-133725_Chrome.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 47
Your thermal insulation is massively important when diving in the cooler waters of the UK. This basically means having a drysuit that fits and the appropriate undersuits.

Diving in 7 degrees — most seas and inland quarries/lakes in the winter and spring— is vastly different from 18 degrees, the summer temperatures.

The main trick is layering. More in winter, less in summer.

You mention that your drysuit is snug. This might mean better insulating underclothes might not fit.

The Northern Diver undersuits may be of interest

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom