Underwater camera advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

anacris

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi,

I live in Brazil and I'm open water certified with a few diving, most of them in Brazilian coast. Although I like photography, I have no experience in underwater photos. I'm interested on buying a camera and housing and I saw a post on ScubaBoard Forum that recomended a Canon G12 or S95.

I'll be in Miami in May for a 2 days diving. I already found some stores that sell the Canon G12 but I need the underwater housing too.

I have some qustions:
_ is the Canon G12 a good choice, considering my little experience?
_ where can I find the underwater housing in Miami Beach area?
_ the Ikelite housing is better than the Canon?

tks

From my experience with the G11 I do recommend the housing sold through Canon. It is relatively inexpensive and a solid design. You could then buy a strobe and a wet lens. Ikelite is good, but I think the canon underwater case is just as good and much cheaper.

You could end up getting the entire set for just about $1,000 which is very inexpensive for a dive setup.

Since you are new to diving (few dives) just a few things to keep in mind:
1) Make sure you really like to dive before investing in expensive equipment. If you find out on dive 10 that you really don't like scuba...well in addition to the training money, you spent a lot of money on equipment. Obviously if you are in love with this sport then go at it :)

2) Watch your bouyancy. I mean really watch it. You can easily ascend out of control and not realize it until it's too late. Same thing goes for descending. Diving takes a bit of concentration, while photography takes a TON of concentration. You could get into trouble by : hitting coral (damaging the coral, and cutting yourself), hit unfriendly sea life (which may bite/sting you), ascend rapidly and out of control getting bent, descend out of control and potentially killing yourself that way, and a ton of other factors.

3) When taking photos you will need to get in close and get lots of practice with your lighting. If you have access to a pool then it's a great safe spot to practice your photos. Take some plastic toys with you and try to learn how to photograph with them.

Goodluck and enjoy.

Thanks. I'll take care and practice.

Just a thought- If you do go with the Ikelite housing, and then find yourself getting the Ikelite strobe(s) to go with it, you will be able to use the TTL (through the lens) automatic metering system which is built into the Ikelite stuff. No such option on the Canon housing, I am afraid. I know, a lot of guys don't think they need that level of automation and are able to set their cameras quite well by themselves, thank you, but that takes practice (a LOT of practice, believe me!), and with the TTL in place, that is just one less thing to have to worry about as you are starting out. Again, just a thought. Woody

Hi,

I live in Brazil and I'm open water certified with a few diving, most of them in Brazilian coast. Although I like photography, I have no experience in underwater photos. I'm interested on buying a camera and housing and I saw a post on ScubaBoard Forum that recomended a Canon G12 or S95.

I'll be in Miami in May for a 2 days diving. I already found some stores that sell the Canon G12 but I need the underwater housing too.

I have some qustions:

tks

Ola , Anacris. Respondendo suas perguntas:

-G12 é uma camera point and shoot excelente. Como vc tem pouca experiencia com foto eh uma boa opção sim. Eu pessoalmente uso uma G11 com caixa da Canon que por ser mais barata tem algumas limitaçoes aceitaveis. De uma olhada nas minhas fotos do flickr. A caixa da canon G12 e G11 é a mesma.

-não sei te dizer mas com certeza não sera dificil de achar. A minha caixa eu comprei na bhphotovideo, tente ligar para eles e veja se consegue entregar em Miami no hotel ou endereço desejado

- caixa da Ikelite para G12 não vale a pena na minha opiniao. Ou vc compra a da Canon ou parte para a da Patima que permite fotos de grande angular pois vem com duas portas uma para macro e uma para grande angular.

Detalhe somente compre uma G12 se vc for comprar um flash externo (ex. Inon S2000), se vc for comprar para usar com o flash interno de preferencia a Canon S95 com a caixa da canon. A vantagem da S95 é que ela é melhor sem o flash externo e melhor para acoplar lente grande angular com o mount da inon. Desvantagem dessa maquina na minha opiniao é que a bateria dura pouco, quase no limite para 2 mergulhos. A bateria da G11/12 dura bastante permitindo mais fotos.

Em resumo por orçamento, do mais barato para o mais caro:

- S95 + caixa canon
- G12 + caixa canon + flash externo a sua escolha
- S95 + caixa canon +flash externo + Grande angular Inon
- S95 + caixa recsea+flash externo + Grande angular varias
- G12 + caixa Patima/FIX + flash externo + Grande angular

Boa escolha.

My 2cents

Hi,

I have some qustions:

tks

I have both the G10 and G12 cameras in Canon housings. I am very satisfied with both. I DO HAVE an external strobe. I will tell you this:

The Canon housings for the G10, G11 and G12 are the same size. The G11 and G12 use the same housing. If you are not using an external strobe you will be somewhat impaired taking close-up macro shots using the camera's built-in strobe. The length of the housing lens tunnel blocks the strobe in the lower right portion of the photo. You will have dark areas in the lower right of the photos.
Solutions:
1. back away from the subject and zoom in.
2. position the subject in the upper left of the photo and crop it in Photoshop or the like.
3. use an external strobe.

The use of the diffuser that is included with the housing does not solve this issue.

The housing port on the Ikelite housing for all three of these cameras will block the built-in strobe even more making it near impossible to use.

If you are not going to purchase an external strobe the S95 is a better choice as the housing lens tunnel is shorter and does not interfere with the close-up photos as much as the G housings.

Note the difference in the length of the housing lens tunnels.

G10_S90_housings.jpg

I have both the G10 and G12 cameras in Canon housings. I am very satisfied with both. I DO HAVE an external strobe. I will tell you this:

The Canon housings for the G10, G11 and G12 are the same size. The G11 and G12 use the same housing. If you are not using an external strobe you will be somewhat impaired taking close-up macro shots using the camera's built-in strobe. The length of the housing lens tunnel blocks the strobe in the lower right portion of the photo. You will have dark areas in the lower right of the photos.
Solutions:
1. back away from the subject and zoom in.
2. position the subject in the upper left of the photo and crop it in Photoshop or the like.
3. use an external strobe.

The use of the diffuser that is included with the housing does not solve this issue.

The housing port on the Ikelite housing for all three of these cameras will block the built-in strobe even more making it near impossible to use.

If you are not going to purchase an external strobe the S95 is a better choice as the housing lens tunnel is shorter and does not interfere with the close-up photos as much as the G housings.

Note the difference in the length of the housing lens tunnels.

G10_S90_housings.jpg

Very good post.

I am really fan of your photos Gilligan. :D

Jim, your latest work is spectacular.

I have both a S90 and the G10. I think the G12 is a bit better camera for underwater use, except that you really need a strobe.

It focuses faster, it does better macro, and has a few more features. The faster lens of the s series, if one has a strobe is not that big of a deal...

I have had a little s400, G7 and now have the s90 and G11.

At this stage I would go with the s95. Depending on how much you think you will be diving. Like the other posts have mentioned it works well with the canon housing and retains the usability of the camera flash. If you get more serious about diving you have the option of getting housing that would necessitate getting an external strobe and optional wet lenses for wide or macro subjects. The G12 could be used with a custom strobe diffuser with some superb results but it would be more limited to macro with flash as has been stated already. Brian Mayes (flicker.com) has really got some great photos with the G series and canon housing route. Flickr: BrianMayes' Photostream

Back
Top Bottom