Underwater case and port for Sony NEX-5N with 18-55 lens

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dcdev

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all,
I have an NEX-5N and I wanted to get a *good* case for it, but prices new are a but much for me. I've tried the cheapo cases marked under the Neewer / Meike / Polaroid name and learned my lesson. From my research it seems the 10Bar case is my best bet price-wise. Any chance someone has one of these cases with a port (stock 18-55MM lens) they are looking to sell?
thanks
Steve

I've had 2: I bought my camera used and it came with the Polaroid branded one. At depths greater than 30 or 40 feet the pressure would cause the case to act like you were pressing the menu buttons / wheel so either it was always setting the exposure comp to the minimum or switching modes (like single to multi shot) or I'd look at the LCD and see it cycling though the menu (Wheel of Fortune!) Very annoying.

When my next trip came up, an updated version of the case (black front / clear back) had come out and an online review I read somewhere said it had cured similar issues the reviewer had had. So I got that (under the Neewer name) and the same thing happened.

So while this may not be an issue with all of them (pointing to a quality control issue) I'm not willing to chance another 140$ / frustration with not being able to take pictures on a trip.

My 2c / ymmv / etc

I've used the cheap housings before, including the sony MPK marine packs. All had problems, either flooded or very difficult to operate. I was actually looking to buy the 10Bar for my 5Ns and I would have - it is a great housing, but I got a deal on a used Nauticam, so I got that one with 2 ports. The best deal I found on the 10Bar (if you are still looking) was at Optical Ocean Sales, Seattles Underwater Camera and Photography Store

I have one of the polaroid/meikon and it works great, what issues did you have with yours?

any chance to get some colour filter for this Polaroid housing for sony nex?
the housing lens outer diameter is 86mm, the inner one is 65mm.
I would like to find a removable filter to put outside of the housing, and not inside on the camera lens.

any tips?
thanks

I have a Recsea housing and port to fit the NEX-5. I am getting ready to post an ad to sell it with the camera and a strobe. I would like to sell the entire unit. If you are interested, are you willing to wait a bit to see if I can sell everything? Housing front.jpg Port.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom