Underwater cites in the south....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Currently I'm taking a small siesta on the research and trying to relax a bit. I'm trying to get more experience and preparing for the future dives. I'm still trying to find people with a boat who would be willing to take me to the dive sites.

Flodiver:
I grew up in Johnson City and Bristol and had always heard about this. Would be real interested in knowing what you come up with.
Could always take a trip back to my old stomping grounds

Shaun

Welcome to ScubaBoard Flodiver

A scubaboard showed me a link. It seems that watauga was drained for inspection in 1983 and all that was visible were the foundations. That's how I read the report.
The link is... http://www.clui.org/clui_4_1/lotl/v28/b.html
Hopefully people couldn't easily get to the town and there is something worth diving. Wouldn't be fun if all there is down there is foundations of buildings.

I am very interested in following up on this information. Any thoughts on if any dive operations provide support or information. Any information on accessing diving on these sites?

Am planning a trip and would love some thoughts or information to assist.

offroaddiver:
Today I received word that a set of maps I ordered came in to the local map store. One map is a hand noted orientation of the city of Butler,TN another is a book with the buildings and street of Butler underwater with a gps grid over it. I found in the archives a list of people who's land was taken by iminent domain and a general map of the areas taken.

Old Butler,TN is located at around 90-120'. The water according to local divers is cold but good visibility. To my general knowledge the lake is also considered an altitude dive since it is at...1960 ft about sealevel. Some other general info is that the lake is 19 miles long and has around 106 miles of lakeshore.

Thank you officer (you know who you are) that informed me of a general location of the city. He gave me a general place to start looking as well as a first hand account of what he saw of the downtown section of Butler.

As I've read from letter from the locals all the buildings are standing, even the silo's on the farms were still standing when the water started to rise. As one elderly gentleman I talked to said, "My parents lived in Butler. They were lucky enough to have moved closer to Bristol before that *******!%Q#$^%% TVA took the town. (for those who are not in the general area of Eastern TN or have met people from the area, many still curse TVA.) The water rose day by day. Several men took the doors off the houses and windows to later sell as salvage or to use on other houses. After time had gone all that could be seen from the shore was a few roofs. Then there was nothing but memories. " After telling the gentleman my ideas about diving and seeing the city he became very emotional about someone laying eyes upon the city. He mentioned that anyone who could get pleasure out of something like that was "wrong in the head". After discussing the similarities of shipwrecks to the town, he only said "never thought about that. They say that some of them ships are elegant". Upon stating this I asked him if the houses would fall under today's terms of elegance and whether or not there were any that weren't made of plain wood or construction material that might be affected by water. After thinking for a few minutes and enjoying a newly lit pipe,"I remember my parents mentioning that some houses were made out of river rock instead of brick because the times had gotten so harsh for a while." Another gentleman overhearing our conversation said to the effect that there were offices and stores that were cement buildings.

My research and interviews have shown that several peope who fish know of these locations, because "the fish like large underwater structures." As with other wreck dives this is a well known feature of wrecks. May even be that elusive 30 lbs. bass that the fishermen are always dreaming of everynight that have taken town hall, but that is doubtful (biological reasons).

I have also been informed about several locations in other parts of TN. Dale Hollow Lake as I've learned from fishermen(they know their stuff) has listed ruins on fishing maps. I emailed a diver and he would not disclose the locations but insisted that there are buildings that many divers have seen and entered.

If you want to share or inquire about any information or ways to find out about dive sites in lakes email me. I've had a blast doing the research to find out what I have.
Now I just need to get more used to diving and perhaps getting into the technical side so I can explore the ruins I find.

Think about the dream of walking through ruins that people haven't set foot on in decades or centuries.
-offroaddiver

If you do get to dive Butler, you'd better make sure you have proper exposure protection. Plus, you don't need to get technical to explore the 100 to 120 feet depths. The more structures that may be there + the depth they are at = more time spent exploratory diving. Also, If you do find anything of historical significance, turning it over to the state isn't such a bad idea. You will receive recognition for your find, which, I think, is more glorious than harboring a piece of history and sharing it with a select few. Why not let all visitors to Tennessee learn of the historical significance of your find? You will be doing a service for humanity!

I also suggest you com up with some basic plan to dive. Your bottom time would be limited so hit the sites that are likely to be significant. Do a "what's down there" dive - where all you do is LOOK, and create a more detailed dive plan for the second dive, based on the knowledge you gain from the first dive. However, if some structures are gone, you could still find some interesting artifacts that may have been left behind. Finds may be made easily where a structure USED to be, where the foundation remains. If anything IS still standing, it may be to dangerous to penetrate, and therefore, artifacts can't be recovered. Keep your hopes up! All is not lost when the structre crumbles, or is taken back by the lake.

OH, be careful of the silt that accumulated over the years!!! DON'T DIVE BEYOND YOUR TRAINING!!!

Just a word on diving impoundments like those constructed by the TVA.

Silt is a MAJOR CONCERN !!!! Just getting close to the bottom can be more of a challenge than you think. In some areas in lakes like this it can be almost impossible to tell where the water ends and the silt begins until you encounter a total blackout due to silting. You can actually start sinking into the silt and never know that you've hit it unitl it's too late.

I'm not trying to frighten you, I'm just trying to let you know what you may probably encounter.

It will be dark and cold at the bottom. You should probably expect temperatures in the low 40's at depth.

At 80' in Lake Lanier north of Atlanta, at this time of the year the temps are in the high 40's. Up in the mountains of Tennessee I'm sure the temps will be somewhat lower.

Be prepared if you've never dived conditions like this.

the K

where dams have been constructed, flooding previously habitated areas.

Check out Lake Tenkiller in OK. Many of the sites are at easy depths of 40'.

http://www.laketenkiller.com/scuba.asp

"To make the lake even more intriguing, local history was buried in water from the formation of the lake. When the Illinois River was flooded, a town was left behind. Home sites are still accessible, where you might find some artifacts left behind by the settlers. Horseshoes, buggies, roads, houses, farm equipment, personal possessions that leave room for imagining about these past lives are all protected by state law, and may not be removed, but can certainly be admired and enjoyed. There is even an old jailhouse, wagon wheels, and rare artifacts such as Native American pottery, jewelry, and arrowheads."

In a few weeks I'm goin to go up to Watauga area and try to rent a boat and see what the water conditions look like. Anyone with a high definition fish finder wanna help me out?

Just read your thread. So exciting!! My husband and I have discussed doing this. We have also heard that there are some farm buildings, silos and such at Fontana. We had an occassion to meet this guy who was a TVA diver back in the 60s and 70s. He said there are lots of potential for entanglements - barbed wire, fencing, rusty nails and spikes and such - and tons of silt. But still, some really cool dives around the dams. Who do you dive with? We live in K'ville as well. Will be at Philly with students this weekend.

Back
Top Bottom