Underwater Communications System DIY

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The questions was had anyone tried to build a unit. I am familar with the different units youy can purchase. Signing is great. Unless the water is pitch black and your partners are 10 ft away or the boat is 20 feet over your head.
Take two asprin and hold your breath for 10 min. and that deja vu will cear right up.

critterc:
The questions was had anyone tried to build a unit. I am familar with the different units youy can purchase. Signing is great. Unless the water is pitch black and your partners are 10 ft away or the boat is 20 feet over your head.
Take two asprin and hold your breath for 10 min. and that deja vu will cear right up.

Well, lets look at the medium, it's water right? Communication options – piece of wire, radio waves, light etc. These options have been explored extensively. Why reinvent the wheel??? Look at what other developers have done and then proceed. From what I've seen, it will definitely be technology orientated. "***************"

Whats with the attitude?

Hey Critter, I have not messed around with making my own yet. I would probally start off with modifications of off the shelf components, develping a waterproof enclosure for them...

The guys out at OTS are very approachable if you would like to give them a shout and ask about some of the early designs, they like most companies in this business started off in someones garage...

http://www.oceantechnologysystems.com/

Jeffrey, thanks I will contact them. Have used their unit doing body recovery work a number of years ago. Have been looking at water proofing some two way units with press to talk wired transmit buttons that we use to use in tactical work. Range was two miles but understand that in water it will be doing good to get 50 ft. But that would be exceptable.
May also play with some hard wire units. I have some old commo stuff left over out of a number of old Morgan spiderband units I had years ago. But the base unit I have requires a boat with 120 power.
Again thanks any ideas age greatly appreciacted.
....................................................................................................................

You know everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.
Will Rogers

And we all know what we look like when we assume.

What type of mask are you using now?

OTS has some fine hard wire and dual mode (hard wire internal with a through water to surface band) units they are working right now for hull sweep teams.

You can get the Ocean Reefs set up with a relabeled OTS buddy phone but that does not help you out with the DIY project at all...

Are you guys diving tended when your working? If so you should not have to much probelm adapting your current set up for hard wire comms, check the internals on your comm box it most likely transmits 12 v DC.

At most you may have to buy the mask communication adapter but you could most likely fabricate the speaker assembly...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom