Underwater hockey

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

trying to decide between the Mares Volo Power Dive Fins and the Atomic Aquatics Split fins for underwater hockey

I can't comment on either of those fins, but for what it's worth, the traditional fin of underwater hockey was the Technisub Ala:

technisubala.jpg

They're very hard to source nowadays and another all-rubber full-foot fin has been endorsed in some underwater hockey circles as an appropriate replacement, Gull Hard Mews, made in Japan:

mewfins.jpg

They're now available in the West via the CanAm website at

Gull Mew Hard Fin | CanAm Underwater Hockey Gear

They're excellent fins; I own a pair. The rationale underlying the use of fins like Technisub Alas and Gull Hard Mews in underwater hockey is that their all-rubber blades are less likely to harm other players in what is a contact sport.

Mares Volo Power Dive Fins and the Atomic Aquatics Split fins for underwater hockey

Neither are really good for hockey. The volo fins will fold in half when playing hockey. The split fins don't seem to have enough power. I know one player that wears split fins and does play very well. Of course its not the gear its the guy... He does have the fin tips clipped together with a wire tie and tends to wear a pair of ala's during tournaments.

Most players wear Mares Quattro Power fins. These are a bit heavy and stiff if you have not been playing for a while. Other great fins include Aqualung Stratos FP, Mares HP, Mares Superchannel.

I'll be trying out the Aqualung Express soon. One of the newer guys around here has a pair and they seem like a good fin for hockey.

The Mew fin does look good. One of our guys just ordered a pair...we'll check it out.

Like with any gear, try to borrow a pair of whatever you are interested in and try them out first.

Best,
Joe Klinger

Neither are really good for hockey. The volo fins will fold in half when playing hockey. The split fins don't seem to have enough power. I know one player that wears split fins and does play very well. Of course its not the gear its the guy... He does have the fin tips clipped together with a wire tie and tends to wear a pair of ala's during tournaments.

Most players wear Mares Quattro Power fins. These are a bit heavy and stiff if you have not been playing for a while. Other great fins include Aqualung Stratos FP, Mares HP, Mares Superchannel.

I'll be trying out the Aqualung Express soon. One of the newer guys around here has a pair and they seem like a good fin for hockey.

The Mew fin does look good. One of our guys just ordered a pair...we'll check it out.

Like with any gear, try to borrow a pair of whatever you are interested in and try them out first.

Best,
Joe Klinger

I love Mares Quattros. It took me a few games to get used to them, because they feel heavy in the water, but the power is worth it.

This is really cool! I have never heard of this before. I live in Phoenix, Az and would love to play. If there is anyone out here looking for more players, send me a PM!!

Cool stuff guys!

I'm pretty sure there's a hockey player from San Diego who has recently moved to Phoenix and is trying to get a club started there. Try contacting underwaterhockeyphoenix @ gmail.com or PM me and I'll find the person for you.

The Orlando Team plays every Friday at 7pm at the YMCA Aquatic center on Intl Dr.
Everybody is invited to join!!
bring fins mask and snorkle, we'll provide the rest.
see you underwater!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom