Underwater Japanese planes?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Firedive

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello,

I was on O'ahu for a few months earlier this year, and met a guy who said he'd take me to this incredible, little-known dive site where two downed Japanese planes were in fairly shallow water. It never ended up happening, and no one I asked had any idea where these planes were. All I know is that they're supposed to be somewhat near Dillingham Airport, and that there are also some concrete barracks that sunk due to erosion in the same area. So... Does anyone know where this is? Did this local guy make it up? If it's a big secret and you don't want to tell me, I understand. But at least PM me and tell me whether this site exists! Thanks.

How shallow is "fairly shallow"? Although that area isn't often frequented by scuba divers, it's a popular freediving spot. If real WWII wreckage was present in less than 70', everyone would know about it.

I think the guy must have been confused.

I know of one rumored to be in about 130-180fsw off Rabbit Island. It makes sense based on flight paths during Pearl Harbor. There is also one that a few of us have dove and a couple of us have gotten very close to in approx 230fsw off the windward coast (somewhere). I have also heard rumors of at least 2 more spread around the island, but never any rumors of any on the north shore.

I've heard of a Zero off Hickam, but it is rumored to be around 250'.

fishb0y:
I've heard of a Zero off Hickam, but it is rumored to be around 250'.

Shhhhhhh. Nothing to see here, nobody knows anything. It was all just a hallucination, narcosis maybe.

Shhhhhhhh, back to sleep now fishb0y.

Shhhhhhh. Nothing to see here, nobody knows anything. It was all just a hallucination, narcosis maybe.

Shhhhhhhh, back to sleep now fishb0y.

lol...

isn't there one supposted to be off of Waimanalo? Is that the Rabbit Island one?

justleesa:
lol...

isn't there one supposted to be off of Waimanalo? Is that the Rabbit Island one?

Yes, I think that is the one.

rgbmatt:
How shallow is "fairly shallow"? Although that area isn't often frequented by scuba divers, it's a popular freediving spot. If real WWII wreckage was present in less than 70', everyone would know about it.

I think the guy must have been confused.

He told me he freedived to it...

I'm sure I've seen photos of WWII planes off Ohau, maybe even here on the SB, but have no idea where they were taken.

I have dove outside the atoll at Midway Island, where there is a Coursair pretty much in tact at around 100'.

but that's a 1500 mile plane ride from Honolulu and the government is still working on opening the islands back up for tourism.

Back
Top Bottom