underwater metal detector

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mfalco

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I just got an offer to borrow an underwater metal detector.

Has anybody used one of these?

Would I be more likely to find good stuff in a pond or lake swimming area than the ocean?

I have dove with mine one dive so far. It worked well and after I get some time with it I will go after bounty deep as ther is a rumor about a ring in about 105 to 115 feet deep. I will be using my rebreather to get time for a search pattern. I have a JW Fishers Pulse 8X.

Cheers.

what unit do you have to use.?....if diving in shallow water..set your weight slightly negative( i use 29 lbs lead) so as the tank empties out to 500 you dont have to fight the bobbing effect..i tie off 2 small mesh bags one each side of my bc for goodies and trash./..yes i bring up all the junk i find....looks good to the people where i dive also eliminates refinding the junk...my dive rod is set at 18 inch length..i lay flat or kneel on the bottom and work a small area at a time..up here in mich it is normal for zero vis once your into the muck..so if you not accustomed to diving blind that may or not be an issue for you.,....go slow..work any drop off just past the location where the wading detectors are up to thier necks and can go no further..work up and down and side to side of the drop offs..hand fan out the targets as it is a pain to lug around a scoop..if diving with a flag..tie off to something underwater..never tie it to your bc..listen for good loud signals...once you locate a few of those ..listen to hear the faint deeper signals it will give you and idea on the possible depth of the targets....go out and try...have fun......the units may be rated for 100+ feet but your bottom time is limited and your into a decompression dive.so watch your depth's..besides unless your on a wreck ..you want to be where street people that day use the location will lose the stuff....under rafts...dive tower's ,drop off's at swimming area's on a 80cf alum..i avearge 2.5 hours bottom time....if you have a wading rod on the unit it will be abit tougher to find your targets out in front of u..good luck

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom