Underwater Painting

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Does anyone know anything about underwater painting, like what materials are needed and how to get them? I've read about it a few times and would love to try it. Thanks!

Do you mean actually painting underwater or painting of underwater scenes?

I dont know about underwater painting, but here is extreem underwater IRONING.

Note the pic was taken at 120 meters at the bottom of the blue hole in Dahab.

actually painting UNDER the water (crazy, huh?). I know there are special materials involved, but have no clue what they are and how to get them.

fishy ms fishy:
actually painting UNDER the water (crazy, huh?). I know there are special materials involved, but have no clue what they are and how to get them.

You can get epoxy paints that are designed for underwater application from the following link:
http://www.epoxyproducts.com/uwhistory.html
The choice of colors is limited, so I suggest you buy a neutral base and add pigments from an art supply shop to create the colors you want. Dont forget your color perception will be totally different underwater, and the bright red topside may be a dull brown or black down below.

You can join the underwater painters association to get more info:
http://www.adacua.com/acua/artists/painting/painting.htm

The hard part is finding models willing to stay still. I personally limit my underwater painting to mermaids and seamonsters.

Eli, thanks so much. If this somehow becomes lucrative, which do you prefer: corvette or porsche?

oh wait, by pigments do you mean paint (such as acrylics) or actual colors used to dye paints?

sorry, sorry, one more question: being a silly teenager of such a young age, lots of words...that I don't understand...confuse me (eh! that website is huge!). What would you suggest I use if I were to paint on a canvas underwater?

fishy ms fishy:
oh wait, by pigments do you mean paint (such as acrylics) or actual colors used to dye paints?
Pigments,ie, the coloring agents themselves, which can be had in any paint store for a couple bucks per tube. Also most art supply stores will have them also.
I prefer corvettes

Back
Top Bottom