Underwater Photo Instruction

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm not sure how good the underwater photographer "certification" from PADI is, or if it could even be considered a certification in the first place.

I'm not sure how good the underwater photographer "certification" from PADI is, or if it could even be considered a certification in the first place.

Instructors often take 'better' photos than beginners simply because they (should) have better buoyancy control, can move closer to the subject etc. There is no pre-requisite for becoming a PADI U/W Photography instructor- just pay the fees and you're good to teach.

The websites above have plenty of good tips for the beginner/intermediate diver. Books also help, but there is no substitute for excellent, excellent, excellent buoyancy control, breathing control, and situational awareness. That comes from spending hours upon hours underwater.

Yeah Jak, I did 2 specialties in Cozumel which I basically feel I just paid for a private DM. Just learned what was in the book and very few in water skills. I'm hesitant to do a PADI photo cert. I have to research the instructor or ask here for a good instructor. if someone will put themselves out there and recommend an instructor on the internet, than I have a bit more confidence than just calling a shop and having them tell me how great they are. But I'm getting off topic...

Supergaijin, I'm looking to learn basic camera adjustments for underwater pics and lighting techniques. My buoyancy is excellent and not in question...though I will improve my diving skills until I retire from the sport or die or both.

As mentioned above the uwaterphotoguide.com is very good, it's part of Bluewater photo out of LA. They do a number of photo trip to some warm water destinations. Last year I did the 10 day photo trip to Anilao Philippines. I know you enjoyed Alona Beach, well Anilao is the most incredible macro diving. The trip is very inexpensive, 4 dives a day, daily workshops and help from two excellent photographers. If you really want to learn this is going to be the best way for you. Its very hard to take some serious photos vacation diving with non photographers.

Here are a few pointers. First is learn everything you can about how your camera works above water. Learn how to shoot in manual, aperture and shutter priority. Understand exposure. Then put your camera in the housing and practice shooting. Practice wide angle and close (macro shots). Learn how close your camera focuses and the best settings for close up. Read through uwphotoguide there is a wealth of information. Once you can take decent above water shots with the camera in the housing, then you are ready to dive. Go with a group of underwater photographers, that's the only way you are going to have the time to concentrate on your subjects, you just can't do that just swimming along with a bunch of vacation divers. BTW get yourself at least one strobe, I know the strobe costs as much or more than you spent on your new camera and housing.
Ken

I would suggest that you look into Dr. Bill's suggestion about Bluewater and Backscatter. I would call them 2 of the 3 top underwater photography retailers in the USA. I live near Reef Photo here in FL (whom I consider to be the other one of the three). I have taken one of Reef Photo's underwater photography courses and it was money well spent. I would also suggest that you think about getting Martin Edge's book on underwater photography.

As mentioned above the uwaterphotoguide.com is very good, it's part of Bluewater photo out of LA.
Ken

Its really good so far. Great advise. Thanks!

I know you enjoyed Alona Beach, well Anilao is the most incredible macro diving. The trip is very inexpensive, 4 dives a day, daily workshops and help from two excellent photographers. If you really want to learn this is going to be the best way for you. Its very hard to take some serious photos vacation diving with non photographers.
Ken

I need to find something in between. That's a bit more than I want to dedicate. You can include me in that group of "vacation divers". Just want to take descent photo's on my vacation. Just memories and sharing with family & friends. Do not want to publish anything... except maybe my FB page.

First is learn everything you can about how your camera works above water. Learn how to shoot in manual, aperture and shutter priority. Understand exposure.
Ken

Great idea. Best advise I've gotten. Cart before the horse....I bought the PEN E-PL1 for Dummies

BTW get yourself at least one strobe, I know the strobe costs as much or more than you spent on your new camera and housing.
Ken

I'd just been using a point-n-shoot in a housing for last 3 years. It crapped out. Though knew I needed at least a strobe for it someday. Seen an awesome deal for E-PL1 w/14-42mm lens and w/housing for $399. It was a total impulse buy considering I know nothing about photography. Getting ready to pull the trigger on a YS01 with arm and tray. Yeah, its more than what I paid for the camera set-up.

So, considering the investment, I want to learn but just to take descent pics. I'm not so serious. More importantly, I want to know how to take care of it so it lasts and doesn't flood.

---------- Post added March 24th, 2013 at 11:59 AM ----------

I would suggest that you look into Dr. Bill's suggestion about Bluewater and Backscatter. I would call them 2 of the 3 top underwater photography retailers in the USA. I live near Reef Photo here in FL (whom I consider to be the other one of the three). I have taken one of Reef Photo's underwater photography courses and it was money well spent. I would also suggest that you think about getting Martin Edge's book on underwater photography.

I called backscatter and told them I wanted to buy a strobe package (probably YS01) and that I was interested in a photo class or private instruction. I live an hr drive to Backscatter so wanted to combine the instruction and buying the strobe. Currently, they don't offer classes. They were supposed to contact an instructor and call me back. Its been 2 weeks and nothing but crickets.

My LDS offers the PADI class but I've already mentioned my opinion on that. Though they swear up and down about the instructors skill level.

I will definitely read the websites and books suggested but I'd like some time with someone to fill in the gaps.

Thanks to all who posted and gave advise

A nice way of making sure the strobe is not more than the housing and camera is to get a DSLR setup :p

Ive had a few friends whos been wanting to take the PADI UW photo specialty, but they have actually been told by the instructors that they wouldnt get much from it as they where already quite competent with their setups. A couple took it just for the card..

I think maybe the best way to get a feel for wether youll have much use of the PADI UW photo specialty would be to have a look at the instructors photos, have him have a look at yours and see what his response are as well as how well you hold up against what hes shot himself. Keeping in mind that an instructor probably have had a lot more opportunities to take the selected shots hes showing off..

It looks like you live in san jose just join under water photographic society in San Carols dive with them there pros also aquatutus in Castro Valley or alacosta in Orinda with Mike Boom get active take pics have fun make life long friends

Back
Top Bottom