Underwater Photography. Please help!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi everybody, thank you all for the posts. Your advice has helped me a lot!! I have not made a final decision yet but I am getting there.

Hopefully I will be in a position to post my pics on this Board soon!!

I personally have done my research for a few months and this past weekend, purchased a canon G9 and the Canon housing. From my research, it is one of the best cameras you can get unless you go the dSLR route, and the housing is priced reasonable. I should have a chance to use the camera saturday, cant wait to share.

it is one of the best cameras you can get unless you go the dSLR route, and the housing is priced reasonable.

I was very interrested by the G9, nothing to say, this is probably the best one ( as you said : untill you go to dslr).
But, OMHO the housing is not on the same level :
-it doesn't go below 40 m( 120 ft )
-there are no native additional lens : you will have to buy an adapter, and then, will it work properly ? it doesn't seems so...
-On the manual mode, you will have to press 2 switches to change the aperture or the time exposure.

You should buy an Ikelite, Sea&Sea or Patima housing : it's more expensive, but so much better.

Before our trip to Cozumel last week, I bought a whole new camera setup. I went with the G9, Ikelite housing and DS51 strobe.

After using it throughout the week, trying a few different modes, I came away thoroughly impressed. I have a lot to learn about manual settings, but still impressed with this setup.

At first I was concerned with the size and weight of the system, but once underwater, it really isnt much of a problem. With the WA lens, I ended up reducing the lead weight I use by 2lbs due to the negative buoyancy of the system.

Thanks for all your advice. I am going to buy a Canon G9. I have not decided on the housing though!!

I just looked over the specs for the new CoolPix. I'm not overly impressed with the L16/L18. I'm not sure how I feel about the auto ISO mode, with an external strobe that might be a bit trying and I don't think they have a video mode which you said you'd like. The s600 looks to be ok, but not out long so prices are higher at around $250.

My best recommendation is the P5100. It's been out for a while now and prices are very good for this topline camera at around $275 (BeachCamera.com). The lower priced cameras are at $160 on up and for the extra $125 you are getting a much more advanced camera, better manual features, optical stabilization, and much better lens quality.

The thing is that the housing price ($209 for Fantasea at a discount) is all the same for whatever model, so housing the best camera is the best move.

I don't know much about the Sea & Sea 860, but as per my article on my blog, most of these "underwater" cameras are simply mid-to low end Rioch or other cameras that have some special s/w, etc to give uw modes. You are much better of getting a high quality camera and housing it, be it Nikon, Canon or Olympus, etc. The electronics, lens quality and other features are much better.

The S&S YS27 is a good strobe with 8 steps of control, but for around $140 more the YS-110 is faster, has more adjustability, more powerful, has a target light and a wider beam angle and can be upgraded to DSLR hardwired sync in the future.

I know $100 here and a $140 there and pretty soon we're talking more than you can afford... But it's scuba dollars right?? ;-)

At any rate I have Housing packages with the FP5000 housing, tray, sync cord, arms set and YS27 strobe starting at $768. You can add in another arms, handle and focus light or upgrade to the YS110 as you like.
OOHOUSE1-27DX.sm.jpg

I am telling customers that they should order any of the S&S strobes soon, as of June 1st there will be a large price increase from S&S of 10-15% and I think Fantasea is going to see some increases as well. The strobes are about a 10 day wait right now, but I'll do my best to get them in asap. I have everything else in stock.

BTW; I do ship internationally, just sent one of these to S.A. for around $60 5-7 day Express Mail.

Jack

I would agree with Jack on all points except for the housing.The camera has a hot shoe so that it can utilize ttl via a sync cord to the strobe.Ikelite lets you use that feature , othe housings do not,without extensive/expensive modifications.Ike housing cost a bit more,but is stronger and can access all camera features.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom