Underwater photography

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScottFromUtah

Registered
Reaction score
A friend of mine lent me an underwater camera, a Nikon Nikonos. But I've never used and underwater camera and, in fact, I haven't had my first scuba lesson yet! :drown:

Question: What do I use as a source of artificial lighting to get good pictures? Underwater flash?

But I would recommend two things, just as a friendly piece of advice.

A) Take your classes, do your research, and keep an open mind, even after you're finished instruction. Many things will become apparent on their own.

B) Use the search function on this board, up in the top right hand corner. Many questions have been asked many times... there are numerous threads dedicated to underwater lighting.

Have fun with it, enjoy.

Hi Scott!

To answer your question:

Most u/w photographers use a strobe (aka flash) when taking pictures because light is absorbed more quickly/in less distance underwater than on land. So unless you are right on top of a subject, or in very shallow water, there usually isn't enough ambient light to get a decent picture.

If you want to see some examples of u/w pictures, mosey on over the the Underwater Photography Forum. :)

BTW, when do you start your classes?

DSDO,

Boogie 711 and SubMariner,

Thanks for your notes. I have lots to learn.

I start lessons on Monday, October 27. It lasts two lessons per week for three weeks, about 4 hours each lesson.

I start lessons on Monday, October 27. It lasts two lessons per week for three weeks, about 4 hours each lesson.

Learn lots... have fun! :)

DSDO,

For your first couple of OW dives... you may find it cumbersome to be taking the camera with you. If you are diving the same location multiple times, do the first dive w/o the camera and then on the 2nd dive you will have more familiarity with the site and have a better idea of what you want to take pics of.
Just a thought... I'm fairly new at the U/W photography stuff too and that's what I found so far...
Have fun at your classes!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom