Underwater red color correction

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Greetings to all,
I have just started taking underwater digital photos. Have many great shots from the Similan Islands but they could use some tweeking. Therefore, I purchased Adobe Photoshop CS2. Of course, one of biggest problems in photos is the loss of colors. I pulled up an article written by Bob Arlen. Firstly, thanks to him for posting such an article. My present goal is to find the Underwater red color correction "Action" that can be used in Photoshop. He had called one the "Mandrake Method". If somebody has this action could they please send? Or forward me info on how to contact Bob Arlen?
Looking forward to future interactions.
Have a great day
Tod Redick

I take it you are using a camera without strobes? I shoot with my strobes turned off sometimes in shallow water using wide angle and use the white balance tool in CS2 to fix the problem. Depending on your camera you could also set the white balance manually at depth.

This may help... http://www.tankedup-imaging.com/script-**.html

Tod: My action set is still in the articles section and can still be downloaded. Although they are pre CS2 they will run in CS2 and CS3. If you have any issues, send me a private message. Also, my article and these actions are old, and although still relevant, in need of update. If you have any questions regarding red correction or other UW photoshop issues, post them in the Digital Darkroom subforum. I think you will find a lot of helping hands here.

---Bob

CLICK HERE FOR LINK

The action works great for shallow blue water diving.

The problem is without a strobe if you're deep there often isnt any red there at all to amplify so you end up washed out or sepia tints.

I need someone to make an action for green water diving :)

Tod: My action set is still in the articles section and can still be downloaded. Although they are pre CS2 they will run in CS2 and CS3. If you have any issues, send me a private message. Also, my article and these actions are old, and although still relevant, in need of update. If you have any questions regarding red correction or other UW photoshop issues, post them in the Digital Darkroom subforum. I think you will find a lot of helping hands here.

---Bob

CLICK HERE FOR LINK

Bob.....

Thanks for your post and action. I tried it on CS3, Version 10. From the "Layer" action, it didn't work...

I have both the action and the newer "Bring back the Reds" filter. PM with your real e-mail address if you want them.

Here's the one that I am aware of http://pt010.da-kine.info/adjustments.htm

If the action doesn't work with CS2 you can create it, the steps for colour correction are all there.

OK... I will try it on this afternoon and let you know how it ges. If I need, I will make the action based on your link for CS3.

I have both the action and the newer "Bring back the Reds" filter. PM with your real e-mail address if you want them.

Great. PM sent.

Here's the one that I am aware of http://pt010.da-kine.info/adjustments.htm

If the action doesn't work with CS2 you can create it, the steps for colour correction are all there.

It works well with CS3, version 10. I played with this James' action today afternoon.

This (James) action is a updated version from this linked version: http://www.gadling.com/2005/02/11/how-to-editing-underwater-photos/.

Basically, James' action added 8.9. and 10 steps from the lined one above.

Result, the adjusted outcome by James' action is a little bit better than the linked one that I have used yesterday.

Thanks....

Back
Top Bottom