Underwater Scooter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I figured that a 300 dollar scooter wouldn't be worth it. I am looking for a scooter for shore diving as well as on a dive boat. Something that isn't to heavy but can pull me against the current as well as one hand controls. I can get a crotch strap for my BC as well. What would be the advantage of a crotch strap, just the way the scooter pulls you through the water.

Thanks

MDB,

I have just researched the Farallon Mark VI is is it really almost 5 feet long....

Dieseloo: Yes the MKVI is/was the largest Farallon Vehicle. Farallon manufactured six models-hence the Mark VI designation.
The six had a saddle appendage so the diver essentially rode over the scooter. Ask the seller to send you a pic. I cannot find one
at the moment. They were a blast to dive, a bit heavy and a tad unwieldy but tons of fun. The smaller MK3 and MK4 became the
model for the Tekna and Mako scoots. I think you will continue to have good input from the other scooter owners on this forum.
Keep asking questions, follow some trails upstream, you will find a good vehicle. Like ft.lauderdale diver mentioned;
"once you have one you have to keep using it and can't stop..."

If you're already considering a $500 Farallon, save a few more dollars and get a used Mako (I see them go for $700-1000 depending on condition, upgrades, etc). Just a vastly better experience, especially if you're going to shore dive it. If you can swing $2000, a used Sierra would be an even better option (36#).

I figured that a 300 dollar scooter wouldn't be worth it. I am looking for a scooter for shore diving as well as on a dive boat. Something that isn't to heavy but can pull me against the current as well as one hand controls. I can get a crotch strap for my BC as well. What would be the advantage of a crotch strap, just the way the scooter pulls you through the water.

Thanks
you don't want to be pulled by the handles...that would mean contracting your arm muscles and abdominals, and more....so you would increase heart and breathing rate with the workload...the idea of a scooter is absolute relaxation....the crotchstrap, with properly configured bp/wing ( or BC) and right length lines from scooter to crotch strap, will allow extremely low heart rate and breathing rate

Rainer: I was thinking somewhere between a grand and 2 grand for something used.

danvolker: Thanks for the info, I have a Zeagle LTD bc and would just buy the crotch strap.

What if I just were to attached the scooter to my D-rings on my BC is there any difference in conformed between the d-ring and crotch strap.

Are these dpv neutrally buoyant...

Thanks

Last edited:
If you can swing 2K, you won't find a better scooter than a used Sierra. Plenty fast, decent burn time (you can always add a second battery later), great depth rating (in case your diving changes later), and light (just wonderful for shore diving). For half the price, though, and at around 50#, a Mako certainly isn't a bad option. I've owned both and either could meet your needs.

Attaching the scooter via a crotch strap is the way to go for comfort and ease.

A Sierra can be made perfectly neutral, a Mako is probably going to be a touch negative (some add a neoprene sleeve to help alleviate this).

Rainer: I was thinking somewhere between a grand and 2 grand for something used.

danvolker: Thanks for the info, I have a Zeagle LTD bc and would just buy the crotch strap.

What if I just were to attached the scooter to my D-rings on my BC is there any difference in conformed between the d-ring and crotch strap.

Thanks

I actually like the Sierra better because of the single handle bar on top. The reason for this is my right hand doesn't work right. I have to pull it open to hold anything. Another question. I have looked all over but not really sure where to find used ones at. I have about 700 saved right now, but just so I know.

Thanks Rainer

Even the Sierra is setup for right-handers. It can be ridden left-handed, but the handle is designed to fit right-handed riding. Perhaps Dive-Xtras could make a conversion kit? In any case, it would still certainly beat a Gavin/Mako handle, which is a pain to ride off-handed.

As for where to find one, I'd say look here, CDF, and TDS. Maybe CL and Ebay as well. They come up for sale every few weeks.

Having a scooter can open up a whole new underwater world to you. They make great tools and can really add a lot of fun to your diving.

I actually like the Sierra better because of the single handle bar on top. The reason for this is my right hand doesn't work right. I have to pull it open to hold anything. Another question. I have looked all over but not really sure where to find used ones at. I have about 700 saved right now, but just so I know.

Thanks Rainer

Thanks

The crotch strap is something like a "balance point", where the scooter can pull the diver, and the diver stays trimmed and the body naturally stays horizontal and in line with the scooter....tie in off to a side, or higher, and the body of the diver will get turned, and suddenly there are all kinds of rotational forces to deal with you dont want !

Bouyancy in salt water is close to dead neutral with my gavin, and their is room in the nose cone to add a tiny amount of weight if needed.

Also, with the much lighter Halcyon scooters now available, many of the GUE and WKPP crowds have bought the hot Halcyon for the ultra light weight and great burn time with high power...and now the used Gavin market could become very favorable in pricing.
They are heavy, so it takes a strong diver to carry them around like they are nothing.....either that, or creating systems to transport with, like dollies, etc.
I like the heavy scooter ( my Gavin) as it is optimal as a steady cam platoform for my video camera.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom