underwater setup for the Canon S90

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jands

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi,

I recently contacted a vendor and asked for their suggested underwater setup for the Canon S90.

They suggested the following:

x1 Ikelite #6242.90 Ultra-Compact Housing for Canon S90
x1 Fisheye FIX Digicam Handle (W-Support Grip)
x1 Fisheye FIX Digicam Tray & Handle, No Arm
x1 ULCS BA-AQN Base Adapter for Aquatica Handles, ULCS Pivot Trays
x ULCS DB-05 5" Double Ball Arm
x6 ULCS AC-CSF Clamp, New Style w/ 15° Lateral Movement
x2 ULCS AD-IN Adapter for Inon Z-series, D-series and S-Series Strobe
x2 Inon S-2000 S-TTL Strobe
x2 Inon Optical D Cable (43 cm/L Type)
x1 Fiber Optic Mounting Block
x1 Inon Rubber Fiber Optic Plug (Bush Plug)

Does anyone have an opinion on this?

IMHO no need for 2 strobes. for compact set up with limited wide angle options.
Just get one Inon S2000 strobe.

I see your point, but I did specify a dual strobe setup in my request.

However, would this setup also be suitable if I decide to buy a DSLR at a later stage.

A poster on dpreview wrote:

"Don't think much of that kit will port to DSLR. Maybe the UCLS stuff, and the strobes themselves, but that's about it."

If this is the case I wonder if there are any other recommendations to ensure I buy a setup now that is suitable for the very small S90 housing, but that can easily be used for a much larger DSLR housing?

All of the ULCS gear should be useful for a dslr set-up later on (with the exception of the tray). The Inon strobes would be useful as well. I'm a BIG fan of both ulcs and Inon, and never miss a chance to talk them up. Any extra gear you don't need with your planned update could be e-bayed. most Inon and ulcs gear in good shape goes for almost retail at auction (not sure about the cables though).

I am in a different boat as I want a very compact and not-so-expensive setup. Here is what reefphoto suggests:
- Fisheye Compact Digicam Tray and Flex (Loc-line) Arm (I wanted flex)
- Inon Z joint
- Inon S-2000
- Inon Optical D Cable (they suggest not to use the wireless)
- Fiber Optic Mounting Block
- Inon Rubber Fiber Optic Plug
I'm still waiting for the Canon WP-DC35 housing to be released before ordering. BTW, any idea when Canon finally starts shipping thees housings?

My list also came from reefphoto. I did not specify a budget, just asked for their suggested setup for the S90 and Ikelite housing.

Don't know when the canon housing is being released, but the Ikelite is supposed to come out Nov 11 (to be confirmed by reefphoto).

Perhaps I am missing something, but from my point of view, your list is pretty good. Your choice of strobe is certainly one that will carry through as you upgrade. The same can be said for the ULCS. The tray may or may not be reusable depending on the housing of your DSLR choice. That is a pretty significant portion of the expenses you have listed (other than the camera and housing itself).

Something to think about: What is the buoyancy of the rig? Positive? Negative? Top heavy? The Inon is negative by 2.4 oz and the ULCS arms are negative as well. You may be having to work to keep the camera upright. There are "StiX Adjustable Buoyancy Jumbo Floats" but your five inch arms will only hold one each. The eight inch arms can hold two each. A set of four floats is about 1.5 pounds of buoyancy.

Since it appears the Ikelite housing and probably the Canon housings do not support the rear control ring that means shooting the S90 in Manual may be a PITA. However, shooting in Av or Tv mode and using the exposure compensation assigned to the lens ring is probably workable then this leads to a potential incompatibility with the S2000 strobes. The preferred strobe would be the more expensive and slightly larger D2000. The S2000 does not have the External Auto mode and the D2000 does, this mode is particularly useful when shooting in Av/Tv camera modes with the camera strobe set to low power.

The S2000 does not have a modeling/focus light either I do not believe, a very useful upgrade on the D2000 in addition to the D2000 External Auto mode.

If you install an Inon 100WAL with fisheye dome then the rig will be quite heavy, no way around that, however, assuming that lens works with this camera and housing, you will really need two strobes to cover the ultra wide angle 130 degree semi fisheye lens. If, however, you shoot the 100WAL without the fisheye conversion dome then one D2000 strobe with diffuser will cover, just barely with some noticeable light drop off.

N

The S2000 does not have a modeling/focus light either I do not believe, a very useful upgrade on the D2000 in addition to the D2000 External Auto mode.

Agree with N. I have a lowly Canon A570is that I use with my Inon D2000w strobe, and I can't say enough about external auto mode (also available on the D2000). You simply set your strobe to the aperture setting of your camera, and the strobe figures out exactly how long the strobe should fire. The result is that I only have to change the strobe setting when I change the aperture setting on my camera (I shoot AV Mode almost exclusively) I have to say that the strobe does all the work. Unless I am very close to the sand, or some other light-colored, highly reflective surface, I don't have to touch the strobe, and then, I find it more productive to change the aiming of the strobe rather than the setting to reduce blowing out the exposure. The focus light is also invaluable in low light and no light dives, and having it included in the strobe allows you to skip adding the bulk and weight (and expense) of an aiming light.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom